WiFi problems

FW: 1.0.0.14

1. Refresh in WiFi is way to slow. In place where i have no WiFi handset still show ok.

2. Inaccurate data - i was on 2 mark strength, but call voice was not established. SIP up to this point work (invite etc), but no voice after establish call, and then i see network disconnect.

3. Reconnect after lost connection is way to slow, it was more then 30s.

4. No Signal strength in data it is hard to know if call will be ok or not.

Hi,

We have some questions for your feedback:

1. Refresh in WiFi is way to slow. In place where i have no WiFi handset still show ok.

[GS] Are you referring to the signal bars in the idle screen? For example, going from 3 bars to network lost. Do you recall the signal strength of the Wifi? You can check under Settings->About->Network statistics.

1. Inaccurate data - i was on 2 mark strength, but call voice was not established. SIP up to this point work (invite etc), but no voice after establish call, and then i see network disconnect.

[GS] Maybe this is related to #1. We will check it.

1. Reconnect after lost connection is way to slow, it was more then 30s.

[GS] What model is the AP and is it using 2.4 or 5 ghz band? Also how many APs in your environment? Is it using mesh topology?

1. No Signal strength in data it is hard to know if call will be ok or not.

[GS] As mentioned above, the signal data we keep in the Settings->About menu. During callings, we have some call data under Option->Call details. Do you feel we should also have Wifi data option there as well?

Thanks

1/ Yeah, very intuitive is going for menu to check if network is on. I mean if wifi signal is out then you should immediate notice on screen this. I was out of range and handset still show normal work.

2/ Ok.

3/ GWN 7600 with 7610 also in mesh (but network signal is not overlapped). No idea which band was used (have both on).

4/ On network screen (2 basic screen) signal strength would be great. WP800 can work as simple signal strength measurement. You add link speed, what for ? We need like 1Mb(with video from GDS) top so this info is useless. Also Security is not important ?
Instead of this add signal strength + type of band used which you ASK. You do not ask me about security or Link speed which show this data as irrelevant in general for this device.

Hi,

We did some testing yesterday:

1. It seems if AP is powered off, it took the WP800 10 seconds to update the status. We will try to improve this area.

2. We also notice the signal is inaccurate at the boundary of the network. There is some improvement in 1.0.0.16 in this area but need further tweaking.

3. When we performed the power off test, it seems the WP800 can reconnect to another AP within 8-9 seconds. We will try to improve in this area as well.

4. We will proposed to add the signal strength and band type to the second screen that shows network information.

Thanks

I did some testing today and ran into a problem.

Started in my office on one network.

Took elevator down to lobby; the phone showed the loss of the AP signal satisfactorily.

Connected to another AP with different SSID on separate network. Once password entered connected fine.

Had a problem entering the password. The keypad does not accept the zero character (0) in default mode; it only enters the space. I had to manually change modes to numbers to use the zero key.

Went back up the elevator and the phone would not reconnect with the first network. It said “authentication error”. I had to turn WiFi on the phone off and then on in order to get it to reconnect.

Hi,

When you were in the lobby, was the SSID of the original network still visible? Do you know the approx time from when the authentication failed until you return to the original environment?

In our test here, it seems if all SSIDs are within range and it fails to authenticate to the new SSID it does reconnect with the saved SSID with the strongest signal. However there could be a timeout in place for the scanning and reconnecting process.

Thanks

They are 16 floors apart, so no, you can not access or see both at the same time.

I wasn’t timing it, so no.

Hi,

We will see if the reconnect behavior could be improved such that when it detects a saved SSID that is within range it will try to connect.

Thanks

I wait for this 16 firmware. There is a problem with any measurement as phone reaction is to slow or bugged.
My cell phone react way faster for network changes.

Here is an update. When I returned back to the office this morning, the phone quickly found the lobby WiFi and reconnected.

Going up the elevator it noticed the loss of signal at floor 6 (less than a minute by the phone’s clock).

When I got up to my office on 17 (10 floors higher) it did not reconnect with the office WiFi. Waited for over 5 minutes with no joy.When I went into WiFi settings of the phone I saw the same Authentication Error on the phone GUI. I pressed the Connect Soft-Key and it reconnected. No reboot this time, but still a problem.

Hi,

Thanks for the update. We will try to improve it.

My Hansen was asleep and when I looked at it in a different location I saw the phone was not on WiFi. I had to wakeup the phone and go into the WiFi page before it connected to the network.

IMHO, the phone should always be connected or trying to connect to a WiFi network, even when asleep.

Hi,

Just to clarify, was the handset connected to one location previously and then taken to another location that was outside the range of the previous connection? I’m thinking the handset lost connection to the SSID it was connected before and while in transportation the reconnect process timed out.

Thanks

Don’t recall. Sorry.

I also notice SIP register problem
Sometime it lost register to 1 server and after some it back.
On same time other unit register to this server never lost connection.

Hi,

Are the other units also connected to the same WiFi? Also is the WP800 in one location or moving about (roaming)? One possibility I think is that the WP800 detect the signal is low and try to reconnect the WiFi. You would need to monitor the network statistics closely to check.

Thanks

so far I haven’t had any WiFi issues. I have tested on few different Models like Cisco ( Meraki) , Apple AirPort Extreme and TP-Link and all were successful. From simple password to extreme strong password with special characters

Yes same AP, no roaming.
Low ? -> and only disconnect 1 SIP server. Second sip account have good WiFi signal then.
Sorry but that was so ridiculous :smiley: Signal is -50 -52 2dBm.
And if i monitor network i will not know if SIP is down or not.
This i think have nothing with Wi-FI, it is some bug in sip part if you use 2 accounts. It happens rarely so i cannot check this normally.

Could you try v1.0.0.16 and see if this problem reoccurs?

Thanks

After the firmware upgrade I shut down and powered-up the phone. The booted up with the same WiFi connection error.

Further, the error message on the phone GUI showed and then cleared by itself even though the network problem was still there. I recommend that this error message require a used to clear it instead of it going away by itself. Also, there was not warning tone or message about this problem; shouldn’t there be?