When configuring, what is the difference between "Apply" and "Update" buttons?

According to the HT80x Administration Guide (p.24),
“After users makes changes to the configuration, pressing Update button will save but not apply the changes until Apply button is clicked. Users can instead directly press Apply button.”

Does that mean that the configuration is written to the ATA’s non-volatile memory when the Apply button is pressed?

Where is the configuration saved when the Update button is pressed? Is it saved there until moving to a different tab or until Reboot?

Update stores the config, but does not apply the new setting. Apply does both…store and apply the setting immediately.

The new setting is part of the config that is stored (or saved, as the manual says), right? Is it stored/saved there (which is where?) until moving to a different tab, or is that stored configuration the configuration basis for any changes in another tab, where the whole configuration can later be Applied (save to non-volatile memory) before Reboot?

What motivates this question: I assume the designers had a reason for the intermediate Update, as opposed to Apply, save. I’m just trying to understand what that reason is.

Stored permanent in HT, but changes are not used by HT until restart or Update.

It is simply nothing more than allowing you an additional level of control as to when or how you wish a setting that has been changed to be employed. It is not much different than many devices that do a firmware upgrade, but must then be rebooted for the new F/W to be loaded into the active partition before the benefits of the new F/W will be realized. So, you can apply in which case the setting is both stored and applied or, you can simply save which is then saved, but not made a part of the active configuration until later.

GS is not alone in the methodology.

Thank you both for your replies. I think I will need to use this for a while to see if I understand correctly, but to answer the question I posed: I think that “Update” will hold changes and allow moving from tab to tab to make adjustments before pressing “Apply” before “Reboot” to commit the changes.

Yes, as stated, update does not affect the then running configuration, so yes, you can save while working on one tab and then move to another and do more changes and then either save or apply. Apply will implement the changes for both tabs worked upon.

There are some changes where once made a reboot is required, but for many, the apply will alter and implement the changes without the need for a reboot.