UCM6202 Ring Group. Stop ringing when rejected once

Hi! Is there a way to stop/drop a call when rejected by an extension of a ring group? Currently, if I reject the call in one extension, the other extensions keep ringing.

If it is a Ring Group, not that I am aware of. All extensions keep ringing until timeout or someone picks up the call.

I guess not, also because the call is addressed to the group, you give the “stop” only to the extension

Thank you for your answers! Is there another way to achieve that? Maybe by setting up a call queue or something? The ring group is used to receive GDS3710 calls. The last solution would be to answer and hang to stop the call.

I don’t understand what the problem is. Are you trying to explain what it’s for? Maybe there’s another solution.

A ring group is designed to ring one or more phones either simultaneously or in a linear fashion with an expectation that someone answers the call. When you reject the call, you are only doing so for your extension as you are fundamentally telling the UCM that you are busy, which then stops the ringing at your extension, but it will continue at the others until such time as the call is answered or the timeout occurs.

I guess I do not understand the logic behind the no answer/reject desire, is not the purpose of the GDS calling to get an answer and then, if appropriate, let someone in?

A call Q sends the call to an available agent, but it will depend on the call strategy employed and the number of agents. So, depending on yuour setup, it may do the same as the ring group.

Keep in mind that each extension is its own unique entity and the action taken by one to reject a call has no bearing on the expectation of the other phones regardless of how the call is routed.

Great explanation of the nature of Ring Groups. You’re completely right.

You are all right! Thank you for your answers.

The problem is that this is a residential setup (residential use of sip technology is getting popular). Beside that, I have a coding background, so I tend to consider all possible cases, even the less plausible ones.

I was thinking that if for any reason, in the selected floor the call is rejected, it will continue to ring in a floor that already decided to not take that call.

The correct analogy in an enterprise enviroment would be an employee that has multiple endpoints (maybe two offices and/or a softphone), if he rejects the call (indicating that he is busy) it makes no sense that his other endpoints continues to ring. In other words, what happens if a Ring Group is composed by 3 people, but each person has multiple endpoints? (Desktop, softphone in cellphone, etc.)

Best regards

“I was thinking that if for any reason, in the selected floor the call is rejected, it will continue to ring in a floor that already decided to not take that call”

The statement above is a little confusing in that - how have they “already” decided to not take that call? Simply not answer in which case it will ring until timeout and go to the destination if set or, did they reject the call, in which case their extension stops ringing? In any event, the one reject action by one extension did not result in the same action for all extensions and as a result… someone. somewhere can still answer should they elect to.

The analogy is also problematic.
The latter scenario is related to SIP forking. This is where there are multiple devices associated to the same extension.

In this scenario, it was a conscious decision on your part to allow 3 endpoints to register as the same-
As it happens I do have three endpoints on the same extension. There is one in my office, one at the house and another on a softphone. The system does not know of my physical presence so when a call comes in, it rings all three. If I answer, the system sends a cancel to the other two as the call was answered and obviously the other two endpoints can’t handle the call. If I do not answer immediately, the phones keep ringing and perhaps my wife at home or co-worker in the office may hit the reject button, but being that I am at neither location, the call still rings at my softphone which provides me the opportunity to answer the call despite the actions taken on the other phones. Your method would preclude this. It must be a real pain when extension owners are not physically present and the phones ring until timeout…unless someone goes around and hits the reject buttons… or answers.

However, there are some systems that have an option to invoke this type of function and I can see where it could be annoying in some cases, but less likely annoying than missing or not being able to take calls.

If you don’t want this then remove the ring group and direct the call to the extension of choice where a reject will send the call to voicemail or other.

But I am stumped, as to me the real question comes back to - why do you not want the call from a ring group, in particular, to be answered by someone/anyone? Again, is not the point of having a phone system and advanced phones to provide added call handling capability so calls can be answered,and more efficiently no matter how they arrive?