UCM6202 multiple unique Onhold messages for two unique ring groups with different incoming phone numbers

I have two separate businesses and numbers that are handled through one UCM6202 as two unique ring groups. Is it possible to have a separate unique on-hold message for each ring group?

… There is only 1 x music on hold source for a user…if the same handset is used by the two groups… if it is different handsets then yes it is possible.

You could park calls into separate company park locations. Or have 2 extensions configured on each phone for each company.

Yes, as you have a distinct ring group for the two businesses, just record the voice prompt needed for each and then in the ring group settings for each business, select the desired prompt -

Will the custom prompt act as a hold music though? The music on hold option above it is a bit misleading as well since it only plays music instead of ringing … unless that has changed?

Oh, Ok I see it now, the on-hold message aspect.

Sure why not? Create and upload the different messages you want into the MOH area of the UCM. Then, select the track you want to play. While the GUI has changed, you will see an “Add” button when in the MOH area. So, “Add” Business_1 and save/apply. When done, select this “class” and then upload the message into same. Repeat the same thing for Business_2.

Then go to the ring group for Business_1 and select the track you uploaded for it, Repeat for Business_2.

When you create the class, it becomes a playlist of sorts for the class as you add tracks to it.

You may also want to add in a lead-in or follow-up music to the message using Audacity within the same track. Keep in mind the message/track is a loop and callers may grow weary of hearing the same message do nothing but repeat itself with no break.

However, as you are using a ring group the issue may become that if there is an available member in the group to take a call, they may never hear the message. They may be immediately routed to the member.

The request as I understood it (and I may be wrong) is that the call would be answered and they were after an option to then select the company hold music for each company.

And the above accomplishes that by using the class. However, what answers it? It is a ring group, so only a member can answer.

As I think more about this, When the call comes in, it is either sent to an available member and plays the MOH while ringing the member or if no member is available, it will be sent to the destination or the call will end. When the member answers (which I assume would be rather a short period) the message is apt to be pretty short in its delivery and may not be heard in its entirety unless no one answers and the timeout is long enough.

I assumed it would be answered by a ring group member. And that they wanted to be able to then have the ability to put the call on hold if required - but in a hold option specific to a particular company.

The only way I could see that happening is either use parking or additional extensions on the phone. Does the Custom Prompt option do this? That would be much easier, but I thought it only played an ‘introductory’ message.

re: Does the Custom Prompt option do this?
No it doesnt and not worth trying to be used for that method.
Just use Park…

… ok?

Richard,the customer prompt message plays upon entry of the call to the ring group and when the audio finishes playing the call then rings handsets and the customer is either hears ring tone, company music or none…

Page 269 and 270 of the manual is a good start to gain more information.

Correct. I’m still a bit unclear as to why you’re explaining that to me? The ‘Custom Prompt’ wasn’t a solution I offered.

You asked a question and I responded.

True, only 1 per extension. But, you could use call parking to separate the companies or have the handset with multiple accounts each a member of a different ring group. You don’t need multiple handsets.

re: @RichardW You don’t need multiple handsets.

This truly depends on call flow - how many simultaneous calls to call / line keys available on the handset as we are talking about ring groups - not queues.

You and I could speculate what the customers site actually is to the cows come home… so best wait for @drbaric to answer / ask further questions …

I thank everyone for the various options, I would be happy to hire someone to log in and configure if anyone that is interested.

My email is drbaric@yahoo.com

@drbaric give Larry a pm - @lpneblett he would be able to provide you support and is among one of the advanced gurus to hire.

The issue is that when answered, the call is no longer under the control of anyone but the extension that answered. At this point, the assumption is that the segregation of companies that was accomplished by system owned extensions - IVR, Q, ring groups, etc. is now lost as the system only knows that it sent a call to a “user extension” and that it was answered. As the PBX is not a true multi-tenant capable system, all user extensions are deemed to be of one company and any extension that places a caller on-hold will hear the same music as any other extension that puts a caller on-hold. It’s somewhat akin to pressing “0” for the operator…there is only one for both companies.

The options are pretty limited and the ease of implementation is dependent on the phone, message length, etc., as others have mentioned.
Establishing different parking lot ranges for each company and then setting the desired MOH (using your message) for each is the better method. So, instead of hold, it is park, and it really won’t matter about the number of parking spaces as one can use dial codes, but then it does get sticky without the visual cues folks would otherwise have. If the phones do not have the requisite number of available keys, they will have to listen to the system prompt to know where the system parked the call and then dial that same spot to retrieve.

So, the number of inbound calls to a company may be important just so you can get a feel for the complexity that might come about.

Scott and Richard have said the same thing.