Laying this all out so that someone may catch whatever I’m doing wrong.
My church reached eol with an eight phone PBX NEC setup. You know the ones where you need a seperate module to get VOIP going, or add another 4 extensions…
Cost to bring current eclipsed getting a UCM6208 and 10 GXP2160s. (latest firmware all around). To be honest GSWave is probably what tipped the scales.
5 lines, 4 voice, one fax. And we wanted to expand our prayer ministry (have a television program that airs 5 times from Friday evening through lunch on Mondays. People call in for prayer from across Canada. Nevermind the fact that the telco provider is charging $200/m to bring the phonelines in through an Arris Voip box.
3 other campuses with a single phone line in. And internet. Figured if the central site is set up right the other ones could be connected in directly (over VPN) or interconnect UCMs (seems like overkill AND well I have enough Eventlist BLF issues currently that I don’t want to compound with remote UCM Eventlist BLF).
Had some teething pains. First I misunderstood how to properly setup SIP trunk with Flowroute, that sort of thing. I am in no way an expert. frankly I blame (naming not shaming) @whowe82 for showing me Grandstream, and @lstutesman for making it look all so easy. Thanks guys. In under a year the system will pay for itself in cost savings.
Currently have two trunks, with 4 analog lines tied to the analog trunk and the aforementioned flowroute.
All phones are in the same pickup group. I haven’t tied in the fax line yet. I am trying to get everything cleared up before I port the main number to Flowroute and close out the telco contract.
I’m not really concerned about throughput because ISP gave me a gigabit fiber connection last year.
Firewall is pfsense 2.4.4-release-p3. Needed to read Flowroutes fine print to get that to work (Sonicwall has a similar issue with Flowroute). Just stating so that if anyone has a similar issue they have a shorter time sorting it out than I did. PFsense will randomize you SIP port!
Frankly I’m shocked that it was only 1 in 200 calls that worked instead of 1 in 20000.
Firewall is VPN server. And handling all of my vlans.
Phones are own vlan, the UCM is on main subnet. Running DDNS and IPSEC for remote access to SIP, locked out (403 - Forbidden) when I try and log into UCM over VPN from outside. But no issues with calls over same connection. I can access any other portion of the network, just locked out of UCM - despite Fail2Ban having the VPN local address pool whitelisted.
Originally most of the phones were in the same ring group set to ring simultaneously, but we had the unfortunate effect of phones continuing to ring AFTER someone had answered at another extension (think of how if you pick up on a GSWave the hard phone will continue to ring) - this isn’t so bad when phones are isolated, or you can see that someone else has picked up the call and you just missed it - but read on for my BLF issues. Solved by setting extensions to ring in order, and slightly mitigated by BLFs, and the ability to click a BLF to answer. But I’m open to other suggestions. Primary stakeholder is upset that he could be on the line for over a minute without anyone picking up. I think I could set the VPKs to show the Line instead of account (not certain as to how, and I’d have to redo the process once we make the jump to full SIP, correct?), but is that going to resolve the eBLF issue below?
I’m at the point now where I have each phone with it’s own Eventlist BLF, showing itself and the other extensions on the MPKs. I’m not sure if I should have given each phone it’s own Eventlist BLF, but the phones seemed to be dealing with a signaling storm until I did. By that I mean random MPKs lit in red or green, some phones BLFs working fine until they just weren’t. To be honest I don’t remember how long I left it as a single eventlist before giving each extension its own.
The BLFs aren’t always accurate though (too often if I poll the phones (easy to do when two pairs of them are within eyesight of each other) I can see that phones are listed in red that aren’t even active, or green that are active, or no BLF data (hit the button to dial and nothing happens). Or not blinking when another extension is being called. And coworkers do use the BLF keys when they work. Especially as shortcuts for call transfers (we encountered reparking issues - one particular caller (principal stakeholder) might talk to 5 extensions in turn, call would drop on 2+ park).
Other programmed MPKs work when this happens though. I have paging coded through the actual phones on MPK11 and MPK12 coded for intercom through the default model template (along with date/time). Not sure as to the order of precedence otherwise I might set up speed dial to extensions when eBLF fails, but like I said above BLF is part of methodology to deal with Ring in Order with 10+ extensions (counting GSWave).