Shared address book (on PBX)

Hello guys,

my customer is missing a shared address book (global space on PBX / familiar from his old PBX) to share QUICKLY and EASY contacts. And I agree his opinion!

Of course you can distribute a xml or connect a LDAP source. But this have three disadvantages:

• less contact fields
  • delayed update on other phones
  • contacts not editable

If you like to share a contact with your colleague, you can’t add the contact directly to your phone (GXP or DP) for immediatelly accessing for other users after saving. Perhaps you have already shutdown the PC to change or add the contact in your CRM or Outlook address book.

A user friendly phone book in my eyes is:
The phone collects the complete contact list from all three sources:

• local contacts (on phone)
  • shared contacts (from PBX)
  • additional XML or LDAP source

All contacts are merging and can view in source groups or as linear list (I like only to find the number independed of source).

Nice would be, if you can manage your shared contacts also with PBX web interface and GSAffinity.

And why it is’nt possible to change r/w LDAP source directly on phone??

Who also find this is a necessary feature?

BR
Michael

user updatable global address book?

To your statement - “If you like to share a contact with your colleague, you can’t add the contact directly to your phone (GXP or DP) for immediately accessing for other users after saving”.

The current implementation of the local phone book is just that - to be “local” and not shared. It has to be assumed that users will have personal & private contacts in their phones for their own use.

It also becomes an issue that if there are a large number of users and each has a set of phone-book entries, then the possibility exists that the phone-book capacity for a given make and model of phone could be exceeded. Finally, as users will be users, the number of “stale” or unneeded/unwanted numbers would likely grow over time and synchronizing when the original source (the one who entered the number originally) of a given number will be an unknown. Presumably anyone who did not need a given number could delete from their phone which might delete from all the others to include those who did need the number.

There is nothing that precludes one from using an XML source or a different LDAP server which might be more flexible than that found on the UCM. How you manage the external source is up to what the application supports and your willingness to do.

Having said that however, there are some systems that have a client piece of software like a switchboard/softphone where one can add a contact and then declare it to be local or global. If global, the entry will be entered into the system’s phone-book where it can be seen on all phones and the application. If local, only the extension that entered it can see it, but only via the app. If they want to enter into the phone, they can, but it is still local. This (Client) is a big piece where the UCM is lacking.

Exactly this functionality I would expect!
(of course, a nice feature would be also to set a optional right, if a user can add or change global entries)

You can add a LDAP phone book directly on UCM and you get this contacts to your phone, but you can’t simply change a number because the LDAP connection is read-only.
That’s unacceptable and not pratical. Phones are not just using in IT businesses! Some users don’t have any knowledge and/or no time for manging central phone books at computer. Perhaps even the user have no accessable PC!
For example a driver licence school. There are only one PC for secretary. If a number have to be updated you can’t change the number immediatelly on PC because the PC is in use. He must be remember to change it later. The possibility that you forget it is big.

But you’re right, that a phone book can grow with obsolete entrys.

also in my opinion the LDAP common directory has serious limitations, as I already wrote in another post, it is necessary to make the client autonomous in modifying the LDAP address book, today it is not so, and it is a BIG limit

This is possible but you need external program for this. It is possible to access UCM LDAP and modify it via external source. Unfortunate i do not know any good tool for this.

It is somehow funny. 15 year old analog PBX systems can do this easyly, but for modern high tech PBX systems is this a problem.

the switchboards 15 years ago do not even make a twentieth of what the voip servers do today (generalize), so you can not make comparisons, the problem is not the LDAP agenda that exists, the problem is the management of the agenda, as I have already said repeatedly to date, the customer is unfortunately not autonomous in managing them

Damiano

I’ve been stymied by the unusually complex way of creating and sharing a phonebook on the UCM and GS handsets over the years.
About 2 years ago I wrote a small add-on to our client management system in php which allows clients to add entries to a database and then generate an xml phone book which is automatically uploaded to a directory on our provisioning server. The handsets sync with the phonebook and the book can be managed centrally. I’d be happy to share the code if anyone is interested

Of course, the PBX today can a lot more of things. But essential functions, which worked years ago, are not able to implement.
Instead of just implementing it, helpdesk guys every time question for brands which can do this? Can their programmers only paste & copy??

Thanks a lot, but for me should phones for everyone and not only for IT professionals.

You don’t have to be an IT professional to add an entry on a web page

gladly interested in me, kindly if you can step by step :slight_smile:
Damiano

For you and me not. But not every sitting the whole day at a PC. It is a much overhead work to turn on PC, log in, goto web page, navigate in web page, change, save, shutdown and so on.

In this time you could change a number in 10 seconds over phone itself if it would possible.

we are in the era where anyone surfs 10 hours to the FB on the radio, reads the emails from pc and any access is now done by pc, and will you tell me that it is a problem for the customer to access a web page to change a diary?

You can get the code here http://phonebook.cloud-phone.co.uk/gsphonebook.zip

Would you buy a smartphone which contacts could be only managed by a web page??

My feelings are if the lack of a centralised phonebook is that important to you and your clients and the GS setup is either too complicated or doesn’t fulfil your needs you needs you need to look elsewhere.
Time moves on and we, as business people, sometimes need to ‘sell’ the product as a solution to clients. Often that means realigning their views and often dearly held beliefs.
We’re not only competent technically but also business enablers through the use of technology. We sell business solutions and on occasions they require us to ‘sell’ them not simply deliver a list of requirements the client gives us

That’s the point. Today, as consument you have to use everything ‘as is’ and shut up. TV, smartphones, cars, etc.
Everything is created for the young generation, which loves gimmicks. Regardless it is practical, or not.
What remains?
You annoys a product for which you have paid a lot, but is limited in simplest things and not thought to the end.
(another example is: no welcome message, if a caller falls in a queue. How should he know, that he can press ‘2’ for a callback??)

For myself had also buyed an high quality/expensive Samsung TV. It includes 2 tuners, Smart-TV and a lot of gimmicks. BUT a simple way (hotkey) to use PiP (PictureInPicture) quick and easy and toggle between both tuners missing. I loved this feature on my old analog LOEWE TV and used it dayly in commercial breaks. I used this feature more than the current youtube app, which is build in in TV.

But you can only unhappy, if you know it could be better. But what you don’t know, you will don’t miss it!

Sure. As company you have to decide what’s are interessting features and technologies. Especially young buyes love gimmicks, although they rarly use it. So no time and budget is left for old and proven features.

But my goal as manufacture of hardware would be, that I don’t sell 100.000 devices and every user is worry about that and would buy another brand next time. The goal should be, that 100.000 buyers buy the next generation, too and advocate the devices to friends and partners.

You seem very unhappy with this product. I suggest you stop moaning and find another solution that meets your requirements

UCM have cheapest PBX on market (or very close). You want everything go buy 10 or 20 x times more expensive and you will have it (maybe). UCM lack few thing, but that can be done with 3rd party.