Rotating Ring Queue

Is it possible to create a rotating ring queue? I want to divide the work without having every phone ring at the same.

For example, the first user gets a ring and answers the phone. That user goes to the back of the ring list. The next call goes to the the user at front of the queue (2nd in the list) and then gets moved to the back of the ring list. Then the next call goes to the user in the front of the queue (3rd in the list) and gets moved to the back.

With a ring group, no. With a queue, yes.

Lpneblett is correct. Also, queues are simply way more functional. Dynamic agents, statistics on how long agents are in the phone, and more.

Since GS implement queues, they are my default goto.

Thank you. That worked

Queues do add complexity to the system, and these are not upgradeable pieces of hardware, so if you have a ton of queues, that creates a lot of behind-the-scenes work for the UCM to do all that reporting. But, as @costwisewpg said, queues are, in almost every way, superior to ring groups.

Excellent point SmartVox. Most of my customers are small, sub 20 endpoints. I have a tendency to run pretty loose with features as I’ve yet to max out a 6204.

Although, I could see a hypothetical situation where I add a second, interconnected UCM, to manage some portion of a system where the processor was getting maxed. Not the same as installing an additional processor in a Mitel but it could work. Eg. All the inbound techs or customer service in their own system with hot desk, dynamic agents, queue, call recording.

Only thinking upgrade here. If starting from scratch, I’d just put in something more powerful.

The #1 upgrade we do for all installations is a Raspberry Pi duct taped to (well, maybe Velcroed to or possibly sitting on top of) the UCM and run Kamailio on it. This lets us to all the endpoint processing as far as VoIP lines go, from an external box. This means multiple providers can be aggregated on the Kamailio server, so can multiple outbound providers for fault-tolerance and failover. It also eliminates the need for lots of firewall rules and 5060 port restrictions/forwarding and simplifies IP allows on the UCM.

Plus, the UCM is horrible about failover or multiple routes, so this is an easy and cheap way around that.