RJ45 jack is T568A, not T568B

Are you SURE that you’re using T568B wiring? We had a plug set for that standard, hooked it up and got power but no network. Rewired the plug for T568A standard and it worked fine. You might want to double check what wiring standard you’re expecting.

Using a T568B standard Ethernet cable split to appropriate wire colors on GDS back connector is working fine here.

Interesting. We definitely had a 568B RJ45 plug (with WO as pin 1) that we wired up and got power but no network when plugged into a PoE swtich. When we cut the RJ45 off and put a new one one wired 568A (WG as pin 1), everything worked.

Please match the wire color of the CAT5e/6 cable with the socket sticker to connect wiring. We did not do 568A or 568B, just match the color code. The reason is that not every installer has the knowledge of 568A/B, but everyone can just see the color of the wire and insert the wire to match the color sticker at the socket.

But on the other side of the cable with RJ45 interface inserting to (PoE) switch, it does require 568B, which is now widely in use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568

Our staff have been doing premise wiring since 1990. The switch side of our cable is definitely 568A standard, while the connector on the back of the GDS3705 is definitely punched down as labeled. In other words here’s where the pins from the connector are connecting on the unit:

Pin 1 (g on RJ45) is connected to g on connector
Pin 2 (G on RJ45) is connected to G on connector
Pin 3 (o on RJ45) is connected to o on connector
Pin 4 (B on RJ45) is connected to Bb on connector
Pin 5 (b on RJ45) is connected to Bb on connector
Pin 6 (O on RJ45) is connected to O on connector
Pin 7 (br on RJ45) is connected to BR/br on connector
Pin 8 (BR on RJ45) is connected to BR/br on connector

This is 568A wiring on the RJ45 side. If we swap the orange and green pairs and wire 568B, which is what we started with, we get no network connectivity.

Yes, you are right. 568A switch is not supported if you are referring to other end of the cable.

Just curious, is there any 568A switch still selling currently?

Okay, so we obviously have a communications problem here. Our switch is not a 568A switch. We have a normal switch, with normal 568B cables plugged into it that go to normal devices like computers and VoIP phones and stuff.

When we took one of our normal 568B wired cables, cut off one end, and wired that to the GDS3705 with the correct colors listed on the block, there was no network traffic. We had to cut off the remaining RJ45 jack and rewire it as 568A to make it work.

That is strange. Could you advise what model of switch you are using? Usually I grab a 568B straight through patch cable (not the crossover 568A), cut one end and strip out the 8 wires and connect to the IF back board according to color code, then plug another end to PoE switch and it should work right way.

So you are saying this is not working and you have to cut another end and make it crossover (568A) and then plug in to the switch then it start to get IP?

If possible, could you upload two photos for the NOT working connection? one end is the cut end connecting to GDS3705 wiring socket board; another end is the RJ45 plug (clip facing down) going to switch? I assume you are using pass through 568B patch cable. Thanks!

We did the same thing: took a 568B wired patch cable, cut one end, and punched the colored strands down to the IF connector. And, with only one end crimped in an RJ45 connector, there is no way for it to be wired as a crossover cable. :slight_smile:

At this point, we have the device wired in place and removing/replacing wiring is going to be more of a pain. We will continue with our testing and try to get back to the wiring issue prior to the end of the beta test.

Here’s the current wiring, which works. Note that pins 1 and 2 on the RJ45 are gG, but the interface connector is wired with the colors presented on the label.

It really just needs a standard RJ45 female jack on the plate instead of/or in addition to these “stupid” screw connectors that are no longer used by other ‘small’ manufactures like 2N or Axis…

This would avoid a lot of potential problems IMHO.

Thanks @SmartVox. Strange, I use 568B and working in my switch. Your RJ45 is apparently 568A. Could you help to advise what model of switch you are using?

We discussed RJ45 interface but that might compromize the waterproof, unless redesign the model and whole back interface. That will only happen in new model or case design and unfortunately is not going to happen in current case/model design, really sorry. But this will be taken into serious consideration in new model/case design. Thanks for all the feed backs!

This particular device is plugged into a Netgear ProSafe PoE switch that has a desktop PC, Cisco VoIP phone, Grandstream VoIP phone, and a network-capable APS UPS plugged into it as well. All the other patch cables are wired 568B standard. Once we’re done with major testing, we’ll rewire the plug for the GDS to 568B standard again and see if it works. It’s possible that we had some anomaly with the first cable we used.

Out of curiosity, is not the Netgear switch MDIx sensing and capable of detecting and working with either A or B? A crossover cable is when one end is wired to a given A or B and the other end is wired to the opposite, i.e., one end is B and the other is A. Both are patch cables, just swapping green and orange pairs between the two standards.

You should be able to look in the Prosafe at the port status and it normally informs as to the connection type, but this may depend on which Prosafe.

I have not yet played with the device and from the PIX the blue pair seems to be in one slot as does the brown pair on the screw bar. I wonder if this is being done to lessen the current loss for the class 3 PoE over distance?

Here’s our configuration working OK using an standard POE switch or injector, hope this helps

Blue and Brown pairs are wired together, as per the wiring instructions. The Netgear switch does not have an MDI/MDX selector and no indicator of how the ports are wired.

As I’ve said twice before, we will rewire it after our testing is complete to see if perhaps there was an error in initial wiring.

Install Wiring
12V connector

Since many testers are mentioned RJ45 interface and the thread is hot, and feedback is sending back to engineering already. Like especially the complain from @drostoker.

Because the case mode and layout cannot be changed now, how about we provide another accessory IF board with tailed cable to out side? I am collecting vote or opinion here. Attached please see the picture of such kind of cable for reference (kind of like IPC GXV3611IR_HD tail cable)

Here are some Pro/Con I can think of right now, please help to comment and provide your feedback so we can approach in right direction:

1. RJ45 female socket provided.
  2. Other Interface wiring (like Alarm In/Out, Wiegand, RS485) left outside

1. Might have security concern because cable can be cut easily if device is not installed correctly with tail cable hidden (inside the wall) or protected (with steel pipe for example).
  2. Waterproof may be compromized if the plugin places not sealed well (with silicon or waterproof stuff)

The tail cable will leave the fate of device to installer. Most licensed electrician should not have problem installing correctly, but we are worried some end user cases or DIY installation. We did get damaged device from Boston area due to wrong outside installation and bad weather (in this case the end user is mounting GDS to a L shaped DIY metal board and exposed back totally outside to a window glass and water getting into the device from behind gusket which shape distorted due to pressure to the window glass).

Please help to provide your opinion. Thank you very much!

Sorry, but maybe not understanding my post -

Most Netgear Prosafe switches, to include the lowly GS108 desktop switch, are auto-sensing on the port and will automatically accommodate either A or B without doing anything. The higher end switches (smart and manged) will show what was sensed and how the port self-configured. Not suggesting an error nor that it needs to be rewired, but merely indicating that if connected to a NG PS switch, then it should work regardless.

Sorry if offended; certainly was not my intention.