Ringtones with Ring Groups

I have read several posts over a year or so concerning Ring Tones with Ring Groups.

After looking at and trying several of them, I am unable to get a Ring Group to produce a different Ring Tone on a GXP2160 phone.

Is this possible at all using:
UCM6100 using 1.0.18.16
GXP2160 using 1.0.9.117

Ideally,
Ring Group 6400 (Sales) rings with its own distinct tone.
Ring Group 6401 (Service) rings with its own distinct tone.
Ring Group 6402 (Administration) rings with its own distinct tone.

Thanks.

try to get him to recognize the ringtones by the caller.
hence (Matching Incoming Caller ID)
6400 ringer z
6401 ringer y
6402 ringer z

A ring group alone does not allow different ring tones. This is set via the alert info settings withing the call features settings in the UCM or by using a number identifcation (CID) in the phones themselves.

What you might try is to use an IVR in conjunction with a ring group. Not knowing more about the routing, you might try going to an IVR first that has no entries and a quick time out that defaults to the desired ring group as a default destination and in the IVR change the alert info accordingly. I have not tried this, but it may work.

damiano70

damiano70
Said:
try to get him to recognize the ringtones by the caller.
hence (Matching Incoming Caller ID)
6400 ringer z
6401 ringer y
6402 ringer z

Thank you for your thought.
There are hundreds of different outside callers, so this would not work.
Also, the Ring Group ID (6400, 6401 & 6402) do not appear on the screen of the phone nor in the Invite Message sent to the phone. (viewed via Wireshark)

lpneblett
Said:
What you might try is to use an IVR in conjunction with a ring group. Not knowing more about the routing, you might try going to an IVR first that has no entries and a quick time out that defaults to the desired ring group as a default destination and in the IVR change the alert info accordingly. I have not tried this, but it may work.

I tried this and it does work…but only with the Bellcore-dr1 through dr5 ringing signals.

I set the quick time out IVR’s Alert-Info to Ring 1 and it shows up ok in the Invite Message to the phone
like this —>>> Alert-Info: http://127.0.0.1;info=ring1

I have the “Match Incoming Caller ID” / “Matching Rule” set like this http://127.0.0.1;info=ring1 and “Ring Tone” set to Custom Ring Tone 1

But the phone rings with the default ring tone.

I did download the 3 Grandstream Ringtones and verified they were in the phone.

I am getting close to a solution.
Any further ideas???

you got the idea @lpneblett, now it’s up to you to read the instructions and change the ringtones.

Your are on the correct path. But, what 3 ring tones? Did you use the ring tone generator tool and create new ones?
What is the PBX?

Perhaps if using a UCM, this will help.

The 3 Ringtones I used are the official Grandstream Ringtone Pack from, their web site.
I added them to the macaddr.cfg of the phone and downloaded them into the phone via FTP.
It is a UCM6100 PBX.

I did resolve trouble.
Instead of using “http://127.0.0.1;info=ring1” as a Matching Rule in the GXP2160, I used just used “ring1” (without the quotes)

So, I now have a much better understanding of how Alert Info works between the UCM and the telephones.

I did install the Grandstream Ringtone Generator Tool just to see what it does.
That created a new question.
The official Ringtone Pack are .bin files and the Ringtone Generator creates .wav files.

So, I have some other 3rd Party .bin ringtones (less than 500k in size) and when I tried to download them via the Web GUI of the phone, it rejected them saying they MUST be .wav files.

Any idea about that?

AFAIR the Ringtone Pack is simply the default GXP ringtones that come installed with the GXP phones.

If you want to use your other ringtones, then you need the Ringtone Generator to convert your .wav files to .bin files so that they can be deployed by Zero Config.

If you want to upload ringtones phone by phone, you can just upload the ringtone file of your choice directly to the phone without conversion.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it did help.

I do not use Zero Config, but rather Option 66 in my router and my own configuration file for each phone.

It is a little bit unusual that the 3 ring tones need to be .bin when download using my configuration file but .wav when manually added to the phone via the web browser.

It’s also wired that I can upload more Ring Tones from the phone’s web GUI than I can using Zero Config, etc.

I have an enhancement request in about this. Feel fee to one a ticket asking for the same thing.

yes by the graphical interface it’s the simplest!
but it does not work anymore if you use an EHS headset
I can use that basic ringtone