Resetting/releasing a used phone from GDMS

I bought a used WP810 off Ebay and the seller forgot to reset/release the phone from GDMS (remote device provisioning/management) so I don’t have a way to log into the device as an admin. Factory reset just reapplies the remote configuration to the phone as soon as it’s connected to the internet. Is this something that Grandstream can help with (doing a release from the GDMS)? Or am I going to have to get the seller to do it (I’ve asked but he’s being unresponsive)?

this is one of the reasons why you only buy products from official channels

Super helpful… is it standard for a company that goes under or otherwise needs to dispose of their hardware to sell/give them back to an official channel? Just trying to keep some gear out of landfills and save a little cash for my small restaurant. Thought this would be simple but regretting going this direction. Heard good things about Grandstream and though it’s a weird use case (single phone for a small business) thought it would be worth trying vs. going with phone company, Ooma, etc.

Grandstream is a company that performs well, but if you buy non-compliant products, Grandstream is not to blame
Also this is a forum, not the Grandstream Support you find at the link above,
good work

In many cases in this industry, yes… it is a thing that happens, a lot of companies sell the system back to the dealer or even give it to them to dispose or resell.

There is no global standard. There may be E-Waste in the EU, Recycling in the US and other programs (trade-in) all designed to minimize the issue of electronics being put in a landfill or other, but these are more for those devices that no one wants and where there is no demand.

In those cases where the demand may still be there, the owner may try and resell, or otherwise donate be it to the original seller or perhaps a non-profit.

The seller in your case would be the first option as they have direct access to the platform. GS, as do others in a similar situation, likely has no way to validate that you are the owner nor a way to know that the device was not stolen or sold via an approved channel. I do not know that GS would not help and perform the reset, but that possibility is there and they may have some requirements that you would have to follow in order to get them to do as you wish.

What Damiano is trying to convey is that GS only sells thru authorized resellers who must purchase from authorized distributors. Devices that are not sold via that path will not receive a warranty and possibly no support. They are simply trying to cut down on the number of unauthorized, and possibly unscrupulous folks out there that might buy used or via unclaimed freight and then try and sell same to an unknowing buyer and the device does not work. They are trying to protect the sales channel as well as the buyer from getting devices like the one that you got…where it is unusable. In many cases it is merely an oversight and the seller will correct the issue or issue a refund, but in others it is a scam.

If you can factory reset the phones. What you could do is connect them to a router that is not connected to the Internet. Connect a laptop/Desktop/etc to that same router. And then access the Web interface. This way they’d have no chance to access the Internet.

You could also try connecting to them via USB cable. See my reply in this previous posting: https://forums.grandstream.com/t/wp810-factory-reset/46467/13

Hope this helps.

as soon as the phone is connected to the internet, and sooner or later having to connect it to make external calls, GDMS will have priority

The OP stated that they could factory reset the device. If that is the case then they should be able to change the P-setting required. Via the SSH shell, Via the USB shell, or by creating a new config server to point the device at on the isolated router and placing a cfg.xml file there for it to pick up.

Unless there is something that I do not yet understand about the phone (which is possible as I’m still newish to it and have never gotten to play with a GDMS). It seems to me that this should be a do able (even if not trivial) thing. Now if the OP were stating that they were totally locked out of the phone, had no way to Factory reset, and that the Web UI/SSH/etc had been locked out. Then I’d share your pessimism. Please do correct me and point me in the direction of relevant technical docs if I’m way off base here.

Thanks,

the mac is probably inserted on GDMS, so in addition to making the phone format, it would be necessary to delete the mac from the GDM,
under the GDMS documents:

https://documentation.grandstream.com/article-categories/gdms/

MACs to not travel beyond the local Network segment. My WP810’s MAC does not traverse beyond my NAT router. MACs are a local link thing, Not an TCP/UDP thing.

that is obvious, but if you have a device on GDMS provisioned, and the device reaches the internet, it will be the device that reaches GDMS so the recognition and association takes place,
this works for all IP phone vendors.

K, I’m confused. If the OP can factory reset the phone and thus access the full admin interface. What prevents the OP form accessing the Web UI on an isolated router. Navigating to: Maintenance -> Upgrade and provisioning and either clearing out all the servers there. Or pointing it to a server set up on the isolated router that has a cfg.xml that would remove any references to the GDMSs addy and thus fixing the issue?

Or log into the phone via the USB terminal and clearing the relevant P settings there? That way there isn’t even a network involved. What am I missing?

this is not the place to take the online courses, I have put you the documents for the GDMS, if you want you can consult them

Yes reading through them now. So far all I can see is that the user would need to clear the TR-069 setting as well as the ones mentioned above. I’ve not yet found something that would suggest this is not possible. Unless you are suggesting that the OP is indeed not able to factory reset the device, as a full factory reset would have cleared all those settings?

I can definitely factory reset the phone (this is an option I found, so luckily the phone isn’t more locked down because that was a possibility). I had already tried the same thing as what you described, creating a hotspot from my Android phone and logging into the web console without an internet connection. I haven’t played much with the SSH/USB methods though. I’ll give those a try tonight and report back. Any guidance for where to look for the TR-069 setting in the file structure?

And thank you for these ideas! This is what I was hoping I’d find here in the forums (where GS support would never give me these ideas)!

Since you can reset the phone and therefore can access the web UI as admin the Provisioning and TR-069 settings are easy to find in there. TR-069 has the option to disable. I’d blank any of the configured URLs in those sections. or change then to something non-routable like example.com or 127.0.0.1

It should be noted that unless you disable the Phones connections to the Internet you’re not isolating the device as would be requires. as it will just reach through the tether on the smart phone and connect to the internet.

Hopefully that would do the trick. The shells ssh/USB are not full Linux terminals and have a limited number of commands but more than enough to change the settings.

This link has info on the working of the ssh shell:

https://forums.grandstream.com/t/ssh-access-to-the-gxp1610/11293

you can find the config template for the phone here:

https://content.grandstream.com/hubfs/Grandstream_Feb_2021/Zip%20File/config-template.zip

which will inform you on the various P value

I would most definitely start with the web UI unless you are very comfortable with working from a command line and working with embedded devices. In almost all cases the admin web UI is all you need.

Tried this out but no dice. Got into the web admin and toggled the TR-069 settings to disable, fake URL, port, etc. and then let the phone onto the internet (started with hotspot on my phone with data connection toggled off, did the settings, and then toggle cell data on). It hung out for a minute and then rebooted and was restored to the previous config. It feels weird that this is the policy. I feel like TR-069 was developed to help a central policy maker provision settings, but not to completely lock down a device in this way. It seems like the client/phone should still have the ability to toggle the remote provisioning off. I’m guessing if this workflow didn’t solve the issue then the SSH method would likely have the same issue. I’m very comfortable in shell/CLI but the commands are definitely different. I’ll read the docs and give that a try tomorrow just to say I tried all the things. Thanks for all your advice on this!

Because you not changed config string.
Anyway easiest is asking seller to remove device from GDMS ? he still have access and it will take like 5 minutes.

Yeah, thankfully he’s being responsive. I can’t tell if he’s the guy that actually set it up in the first place or how knowledgeable he is about it. And I appreciate all the perspectives here. I get that this is a product where the sales/distribution is meant to be more active, with authorized dealers and all that. Normal cell phones even suffer from some of the same issues where folks who resell them don’t know how to properly reset the things to make them ready for the buyer. The makers are trying to stop theft, etc. but we’ve gone so far that there’s now just a LOT of e-waste that could have otherwise been valuable secondary products for folks to use. Not sure what the broader solution is, but it feels like the pendulum has swung too far to the end of “let’s lock this thing down” without enough consideration for reselling devices. A big ol’ option in every device that says, clearly “Reset and prepare for sale/gifting” would go a long way to just making it easier for owners to resell/giveaway their devices to the next person, so we all get more value out of a device and end up with less waste in the system.

/me steps down off the soapbox