Remote Voicemail Access without IVR

Most of what I’ve read on the forum point to having the IVR point to an ‘virtual’ extension that can then access the voicemail system.
I see the feature code *98 for access to voicemail. Is that internal? or external?
Is there a simple way to call into the system from outside and access the voicemail recordings?
Thank you

we have 2 analog lines that we are working with, FYI

on the UCM6100 manual you find what you are looking for, keep in mind that UCM61xx is EOL so it may not have certain options:

NO you cannot the only way I know how to do is was shown to me by drostoker some years ago.

you have to create the dummy / virtual extension if you want to call it that

There’s a couple options.

I don’t recommend the often used option of a menu item in an IVR. Then anyone can get access to the voicemail system. I know the voicemail system can be rather secure, especially if you ensure you’ve got good passwords. I just don’t like it. It feels unsafe to give easy access to a login.

I suggest you setup a DISA option on the IVR where everyone calling in has a custom password (this way, if/when you fire someone, you can remove just their access). It’s still a login but, it’s a extra layer before the VM system.

You will still need to setup a slingshot to route the call from an extension to *98.

Ex.

1. You call into the system.
  2. You select the option for DISA (you don’t have to announce it, you could just make some unused number the DISA and not change the IVR recording).
  3. You enter the DISA password plus the pound key.
  4. You dial the slingshot extension.

On the phone system, you will be routed to the slingshot extension which will have Call Forward Unconditional configured to *98. You will immediately be routed to *98 where you’ll be asked to enter your extension number.

1. You enter your extension number.
  2. You enter your password.

When I spell it out, it looks like a lot but, it really only take a couple seconds and I feel it boosts the security.

Another option, again, thinking about security, is to setup an inbound route on the second line (I’m not sure about analog lines but I’m pretty sure this would work). Alternatively, you could also setup a low cost, pay per minute SIP / VoIP line.

The inbound route would be based on the number your calling from. Something like…

Where the number listed in the CallerID Pattern field is your number.

This is top security. You can only call into the DISA from a designated number (cellphone). Anyone who calls from from a number that is not listed will get a busy signal. So, don’t do this on the main line. Only on the second line (assuming nobody is calling it).

So, no, not really any easy option.

Oh wait. One more option. Just to really be stupid.

1. Setup a call back on the second number. Your cell phone number entered in the CallerID Pattern window.
  2. Direct the Call back to connect you to the DISA in the destination field of the Callback.
  3. You’ll hear a busy signal. Hang up.
  4. A few seconds later, the system will call you back.
  5. Enter your DISA password followed by #
  6. Dial the slingshot extension.
  7. Dial the extension number you with to check.
  8. Dial the password.

I dare anyone of you to come up with a worse option! Side note. I actually did set this up to test.

Thank you @costwisewpg I was able to get the aforementioned IVR method to work, the first, less secure option.
I’d like to now work with you DISA suggestion.
When I create a DISA, only one of them can be assigned to an IVR selection.
If I have 10 staff, I’d need 10 IVR selections just for the access to their DISA setup, so I’m obviously missing something.
I also do not grasp the:
“You will still need to setup a slingshot to route the call from an extension to *98.”

Any help would be appreciated, one step at a time.
I thank you and the forum for all of your help.
2 Days ago I was just setting this thing up and was overwhelmed.
With the help of the forum and the Grace of God, I’ve been able to get it up and running, so for that I am extremely grateful. - again, thank you!