Registration problems 6104 pbx

the unit is a 6104 and the software version is 1.0.17.16
I keep having registration problems see below the information I am sending
I have a unix softphone server with 6 phone lines in it
each one has a extension 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
I keep trying to send a port on the registration and the box keeps ignoring it or not accepting it
and defaults to 5060
register - 2000:gulfco01@192.168.0.25
register - 2001:gulfco01@192.168.0.25:5062
register - 2002:gulfco01@192.168.0.25:5064
register - 2003:gulfco01@192.168.0.25:5066
register - 2004:gulfco01@192.168.0.25:5068
register - 2001:gulfco01@192.168.0.25:5070

what is the format of the correct registration string to tell the pbx this
is what we have what additionally has to be on the string to tell it the ports?
register - 2000:gulfco01@192.168.0.25

sip.conf
; example configuration
type=peer
host=192.168.0.25
username=2000
secret=gulfco01

Have you tried to just register the extensions without the ports? AFAIR the UCM will specify the ports it wants to use for each extension and in my experience the endpoint just uses the port specified by the UCM.

if I register without the ports it assigns all extensions 5060 and then we fail on congestion - each port has a direct trunk line assigned to it

Idle
Available 2000
SIP
192.168.0.27:5060

Idle
Available 2001
SIP
192.168.0.27:5060

Do not know if this will help, but there is a setting in Zero Config -> Global Policies -> Default Call Settings to “Use Random Port”.

Since Zero Config is only for Grandstream phones, I not sure if this will work. That being said, is there such a feature in your Unix Softphone?

Sorry, that’s all I can think of at the moment.

I know with a Grandstream phone, each account on the single phone (same IP) automatically gets connected with a separate port, and that is without turning on the policy option I mentioned earlier.

is there a way to create an extension with 6 trunks attached to it? The software has an option for max channels - and if i set it to 6 and only do 1 registration i was wondering what would happen

Yes, you can create an extension with multiple phones registered to it, if that is what you are asking. You set it up on the bottom right on the Extension page on the UCM.

so if i set that to 6 extensions and then go to outbound routes and add trunks would that allow it to make 6 calls

No, I am saying you can register one extension on multiple devices.

AFAIK, an extension can make multiple calls at the same time if the end point allows it to.

ok I think I have an Idea - i can tell the software to use one extension and make multiple calls. If I go to the outbound route and add 5 failover trunks would the pbx allow the extension to make 6 calls at once

Are you using POTS or VoIP trunks?

A VoIP trunk supports multiple concurrent calls all by itself.

voip trunks - but each trunk is setup to only do one call per trunk we have 48 trunks but local numbers all around the country. But i did the concurrent and failover and it work - not clean but i have the software making 2 calls so on to testing to see if i can get the 6 and then 10 needed

Ok. Glad it’s working for you.

In my experience each VoIP trunk can support multiple calls and can have many phone numbers going through the single trunk.

At leas that is how the ITSPs we have used have worked.

1. with regard to getting the ucm to send to the unix server with a different port for each extension (which is the correct way), do a capture of the GS phone and see how it formats the message and then try and replicate in the unix device.
  2. providers may have various ways of supporting calls and may use 1 trunk for each call (call path) or 1 trunk supporting multiple call paths. it is usually determined by the plan type offered/selected and the related charges.

there are typically 3 types, but maybe more:
1- 1 trunk, 1 call path. like a landline in that only one call at a time. usually a fixed monthly cost regardless of minutes used.if you need to make/receive more than 1 simultaneous call, more trunks are added. Some providers will simply leave it at one trunk and increase the number of call paths and increase the monthly fixed price accordingly.
2- plans that offer a fixed number of minutes somewhat like some cell phone plans. unlimited call paths or a larger number such that all minutes used by all calls are aggregated and counted against the plan. Usually no carryover of unused minutes and penalties for overages. Providers vary their offering somewhat but the gist of how it works is the same.Usually one trunk.
3- metered minutes. pay as you go scenario as there is typically a fixed cost per minute of usage and and unlimited or large call path. all minutes from all call are aggregated and charged at the per minute rate. Usually 1 trunk.

there are other plans which may offer a certain number of “free” minutes or local calling, but these are usually offered by ISPs who also support telephony such as Spectrum, Comcast and the like.

The number of trunks may vary as different services may be provided by a different center. providers may also have georedundant centers and you may be asked to setup added trunks for these as there are concerns about Asterisk’s ability to handle DNSsrv correctly.

if I were you, I would seriously look around and check your options. maybe you have none but 48 trunks seems like a nightmare to me.