Range compared to GWN7600?

networking-solutions

In the preliminiary data sheet that I saw the range for the outdoor 7600LR is given as 250m, whereas the 7600 comes with 165m. Yet, both appear to have identical specs with regard to antenna gain and receive sensitivity.

If indeed correct, how can this be explained? Permitted power levels are always equal or higher for indoor, not the other way around.

This is the description for the beta-test:
“The GWN7600LR is a high-performance 802.11ac outdoor wireless access point.
The AP is waterproof and can operate in temperatures from -30C to 60C.
The access point features dual-band 2x2:2 MU-MIMO technology and a sophisticated antenna design for maximum network throughput and expanded Wi-Fi coverage range of up to 450 meters.
The device uses a controller-less distributed network management design in which the controller is embedded within the product’s web user interface.
This allows each access point to manage a network of up to 30 GWN76xx access points independently without needing separate controller hardware/software and without a single point-of-failure.
The new AP can be paired with any third party router. With support for advanced QoS, low-latency real-time applications, 450+ client devices per AP and dual Gigabit network ports with PoE/PoE+, this access point is an ideal wireless access point for large and small outdoor wireless network deployments.”

I can rephrase my question: What justifies the “Long Range” label?

If all other specs are the same, I would assume it would be antenna or board design to allow for longer range.

450m is not long ?

450m would be quite “long” for two omni antennas with 3 dBi gain.

May be it has directional antennas?!

Based upon many other manufacturer design spec (cisco, engenius, etc) generally long range would indicate a directional high gain antennae often in the 3-6 db range (there are bigger but this is the average scope) so that you can use it as a point to point beam to uplink two areas often as a wireless point to point bridge.

Think of it as comparing a 500 lumen lantern as opposed to a 500 lumen maglight with a focused lense, even though the base spec is the same the focused beam increases the distance but narrows the corridor.

3-6 dBm is not high gain, and I am sure that this AP has an omni pattern and is not directional in a significant way (in the sense of a sector antenna).

I think it is normal AP, just adjusted to outdoor work with extended range. In such case it is long range, Ubiquity make long range as 183 meters only.
It is not sector antenna at all.

Grandstream support says that 275m is the correct range value.
So let’s see if we can get that (marketing statement) verified… :-*

See also these speed & range tests reports:
https://forums.grandstream.com/forums/index.php?topic=36374.0
https://forums.grandstream.com/forums/index.php?topic=36304.msg111379#msg111379

We just did a preliminary outdoor test and was still getting very usable signal at 365 meters (1300 feet)

We will test further later

We tested Friday again, and was amazed that we were passing 265 Mpbs at 650 feet on 5Mhz radio…

This was just placing the AP on our office deck, without proper mounting.

To us, that is some amazing throughput at that distance.

I can say that I get a lot more range and better signal and throughput out of the GWN7600LR versus GWN7600 when tested separately from the same location mounting wise. When tested in close proximity to each other, all the devices favored the LR one, so it must be really putting out a stronger signal.

I can say in my two story house with the 7600LR in the upstair bonus room on top of a rack I get almost full coverage throughout my 2500 Sq Ft house. With the regular 7600 in the bedroom on the other end of the house I would get low signal. If the device connects to 2.4Ghz on the 7600LR I get full signal all throughout. I do notice that the 7600LR runs at 26DBM on the 2.4Ghz and 20DBM on the 5ghz. That is 400MW on the 2.4 and 100MW on the 5Ghz. This is definately higher than the 7600 on the 2.4ghz.

I get the same results. The range is certainly more on the LR version compared with the normal one.

how did you manage to run it 26dbm,mine only shows 23 dbm on 2.4g.
us region by the way

Open new topic, this is old one.