Multicast Support

suggestion
physical-security

As a network manager it would be extremely useful if the device could be configured to stream video in one or more streaming formats over multicast.

This means clients and devices can connect to individual cameras at the network level rather than interacting with the device itself. It also means much lower load on the device as most connections are to the multicast rather than to the device.

Use-Case scenarios include:

Security Control room consoles can connect to arbitrary multicast streams to devices with no load on the edge devices
Forensic recorders ditto
Operational recorders ditto.

For any serious use as part of a large scale network multicast streaming is required.

Hi,

You are right. I agree on large projects.

Regards.

Hello, I agree, but I do not know about $ for this implementation.

[quote=“trajan, post:1, topic:10146”]As a network manager it would be extremely useful if the device could be configured to stream video in one or more streaming formats over multicast.

This means clients and devices can connect to individual cameras at the network level rather than interacting with the device itself. It also means much lower load on the device as most connections are to the multicast rather than to the device.

Use-Case scenarios include:

Security Control room consoles can connect to arbitrary multicast streams to devices with no load on the edge devices
Forensic recorders ditto
Operational recorders ditto.

For any serious use as part of a large scale network multicast streaming is required.[/quote]
I personally do not agree with that. Multicasts in large scale network could be a serious problem. If you have additionally wifi in the network and want to use it - I’m almost sure that it will be a problem (it depends on multicast implementation -usually conversion to unicast or broadcast)
Multicast can also be a security hole in large scale network and need additional security methods to protect network and data.
Using it in routed or vpn networks is also problematic.

If you need a lot of devices using the same video stream you should think about serious NVR system which offer all of the function you have listed above without multicasting directly from IP camera.
I know that a lot of ip cctv implementations are based on multicast, but i just think that this is not optimal solution.

why not just use the rtsp stream?