Loud ring sound from GDS3710 when PBX is involved

Hi,
I’ve recently installed Akuvox C317 monitor to pair the GDS3710 already sitting at the front door and have some issues with direct IP call.
When i configure built-in Akuvox IP PBX to call indoor extension when doorphone button is pressed averything works as it should except that i no longer hear “ding-dong” sound. Instead i (and everyone else in my neighborhood) can hear a very loud ring sound wich i cannot even mute. From what i’ve read So far is that SIP 180 massage is sent by PBX that replaces standard ding dong sound (sip183?) .
Is there anything i can do to bring back standard gds calling sound or at least take control over the level of ring sound which is very loud and my attempts to bring it down in gds webUI failed so far.
IT seems that there is nothing i can do at the Akuvox side So maybe You guys can help me to quite it down or better yet restore factory ‘ding dong’ sound when calling one extension (being GDS3710) to another (indoor monitor) .
Appreciate any help.

this is very confusing - you state the Akuvox is doing a direct IP call and then talk about the gds making a call to the Akuvox…

Which way are you trying to resolve? Akuvox to GDS or GDS to Akuvox (Grandstream we can help with)

http://www.grandstream.com/support/resources/?title=GDS3710

All of the documentation is there and you will find the usermanual which will help you with how to use direct ip calling from the GDS.

• gds3710 being extension 1000
  • akuvox c317 as indoor monitor being extension 1001
  • ip pbx configured in akuvox monitor (software feature)

I want gds to call c317 and it does, but while doing that it makes very loud ring sound (instead of standard ‘ding-dong’) and my attempts to quite it down via webUI makes no efect. I hope it makes more sense now.

Yes, the post is confusing, but…
The message 180 or 183 or other is just that, a message, nothing more, nothing less. In this case, the 180/183 is a response to an INVITE. The INVITE is sent from a calling device to the device that you wish to call. When the INVITE is seen, the receiving device will typically respond back with a 100 (Trying) and then a 180 or 183 depending on other factors. The 180 and 183 messages are the responses to let the other end know that it is:

1. 180 Ringing (this is just a message, the phone or device receiving the INVITE will generate the ring tone itself, unlike sending a ring voltage down an analog line, or
  2. 183 Session progress - this is a message as well, but unlike a 180 Ringing, the responding device is opening up an audio channel and the caller will then hear the audio as the call is being progressed, so in this case, you may actually hear the ring being generated from the receiving (other) end.

As these are responses, there is nothing about how loud the ring should be or what ring is used.

The INVITE is the one that tells the receiving device what ring tone to use (and if not, a default is used) , but there is no setting in any messaging that tells one side or the other how loud it should be or is/was.

The desired type of ring tone is usually in the “alert-info” header in the INVITE. This allows one to set a different type of ring tone to differentiate certain calls from others. Most devices will have some number of per-programmed ring tones which are matched to the alert-info such that ring1 in the alert-info may tell a device to use tone 1 and ring2, ring2, and.or other ring type definitions should use a different tone.

When the doorbell button is pushed the GDS is sending an INVITE to the PBX, it will then respond to the GDS with a 100 Trying. In the meantime, the PBX will send an INVITE to those endpoints that are to ring when the doorbell is activated. This INVITE may have the alert info that tells the ringing phones what tone to use. In return, the phone will also return a 100 and then 180/183 to the PBX. The PBX will relay the 180/183 to the GDS. And so the remaining messaging occurs as the call is anwered, and ultimately completed/disconnected.

You need to look at the Akuvox and also, you mentioned direct IP dialing. Is this actually being used? If so, please describe more so.

I assume you have installed the latest firmware on the GDFS and have reviewed the manual -

FW in Gds is 1.0.5.6 and reviewed the manual as well. when i press the doorbell and gds is set to call Akuvox’s IP (direct call) the calibration of doorbell volume works as it should and gds makes its ding dong sound (sorry for lack of better explanation) but when i press the doorbell button and Gds is set up as extension 1000 with number called when doorbell pressed being extension 1001 (as described earlier) the sound GDS makes is very loud (and different from standard one) irrespectively of what doorbell volume I set in the gds. Once i accept the call with the indoor monitor gds stops making its sound and video and audio works just fine via pbx.
At the akuvox side i’ve tried muting all the sound calibration i was able to adjust but it had nothing to do with gds making loud ringing sound (the same one that You hear in a regular cellphone waiting for a callee to accept the call)

In the linked topic Marcin wrote:
‘Go with 183 ring (from PBX) it will replace ding dong (at least it should).’ although i would like to restore ding dong instead of getting rid of :wink:
Thanks anyway

You need to do a network capture and look at the INVITE from the PBX.

Sorry for being complete novice but how could i capture the invite from PBX?

If the GDS is making a SIP call, I suspect you are hearing the call in progress ringing thru the GDS speaker the same as you would in your handset if you were making a telephone call.

But is this normal, or is there anything i can do to quite it down a bit cause it is so loud that it would scare anyone at the front door and wake the neighbours as well.

Did you try lowering the system volume?

Ok guys I finally had some time to play with the setup and when i turned the doorbell volume up I could hear GDS’s ding dong for a second and then call in progress from pbx. Lowered the system volume then from 3 to 1, and while it helped to some extent, it seems there is nth more I can do from gds side, Call in progress sound is still on a high side but is now bearable while the voice of a person answearing the call is a bit low (i’ll try to adjust Akuvox mic sensitivity though).
thank You guys for support and if You have any thoughts or suggestions what else could be done to make GDS play its ding dong sound untill the call is answeared that would be great

Suggestions:

• Place a raspberry Pi with some asterisk based IP PBX software on it and have that as the middleman
  • Buy a GXP16xx handset remove the Akuvox out of the picture to test against and see if it is your Akuvox settings that are causing the issue…