Local Recording causes CSS Error on GXP2160

bug
ip-communications

I have a small office with (4) GXP2160 endpoints connected to a UCM-6104 PBX. Recently the local call recording feature was enabled with default storage to USB Flash drives plugged into the back of each endpoint.

I have been made aware now several times, and personally experienced also that during extended calls where the user has activated a local recording (sometimes after 5 to 15 minutes of being on the call) that the call will abruptly fail.

The user suddenly experiences no sound and the call is disconnected. The display gives a warning message about “CSS Error” and the phone will not give a dial tone or receive inbound calls until it is rebooted, although the UI continues to be otherwise responsive through soft buttons and menus.

The phones experiencing this issue so far have been updated to firmware 1.0.7.81 although I can’t see if the issue is related directly to that release because the feature was not enabled until after the latest firmware was update.

Please let me know if this is a known issue, or if there is any additional troubleshooting or information I can provide to help with resolution!

Do you still get a recording in the USB drive after the call is dropped?

I suspect that the phone does the recording in local memory and when the call is over is when it’s send to the USB. So if a call being recorded is long enough to fill the buffer, the phone might do something weird like dropping the call.

But that’s just my guess, so to be sure it might be wise to open a support ticket about it:
https://helpdesk.grandstream.com/

If that is the issue, the solution would be to save the recordings regularly even if not done in the USB drive like DSLR cameras do with their memory cards, in case the dev team checks this.

For you, it might be better to use the recording option from the PBX.

[quote=“CyFo, post:2, topic:16543”]Do you still get a recording in the USB drive after the call is dropped?

I suspect that the phone does the recording in local memory and when the call is over is when it’s send to the USB. So if a call being recorded is long enough to fill the buffer, the phone might do something weird like dropping the call.

But that’s just my guess, so to be sure it might be wise to open a support ticket about it:
https://helpdesk.grandstream.com/

If that is the issue, the solution would be to save the recordings regularly even if not done in the USB drive like DSLR cameras do with their memory cards, in case the dev team checks this.[/quote]

Thanks for your replies - I wanted to see if this was well-known issue before going to the trouble of opening a ticket.

My observation after reviewing some of the recordings on the flash drive is that recordings were made even in the event of a dropped call. Interestingly, however, recordings were badly clipped and had noticeable short periods of voice missing. This indicates some issue with overhead required by the recording process or throughput to the storage device… I’ll open a ticket and post back here with any definitive developments.

I have the same problem on a GXP2170 running 1.0.11.3 firmware. Did you find a resolution to this? I have a ticket in with Grandstream, but no answer as of yet