LDAP phone number lookup

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I have setup the LDAP config settings on the 6510 to be pushed out to our 2170 phones. The phones get all LDAP settings, when i call in, my name comes up on the display, so its searching incoming calls. However, when i start to type an outgoing name/number nothing comes up. I have read TFM and i assumed that if you select search incoming and outgoing the phones should show a name/number when you start typing something on the keypad.

If the phonebook is set to XML and the phone downloads it from the UCM it works, ie if i start typing 22, i get aaron, aasko etc, but this does not happen with LDAP. the reason why im not using the XML is because it would always display 2 of the contacts, ie aaron, aaron, aasko, aasko.

this is massively frustrating and the manual is very poorly explained. if you watch this video it shows that you have to go into search LDAP in the contacts, which is just infinitely unproductive and stupid. surely you should just be able to start typing on the keypad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBzZOXRVxU

It can be bug, it should check “remote phonebook” and only remote i can find is LDAP. Of course GS can have other reasoning (like XML upload is remote).

Problem is with phone not UCM btw.

You can try GS ticket directly for bug:

Thanks for your reply, am i to undersand that the phones cannot search LDAP remotely? I have read other posts and they all seem to indicate that the outgoing LDAP lookup only occurs once you hit the call button… seems pretty counter intuitive to me. why would it only show you who you are calling once you actually call them? rather than showing you a narrowing list of names as you continue to type the number? Seems to work with the xml file. I believe this is created from the LDAP directory that you create in the UCM? The big problem for me is that when you type in a number it is showing two names as opposed to one. I cant figure out if thats because in the LDAP search i have both first name and surname as the same thing (long story from an old PBX)? Its so frustrating that something that shoudl be simple, like creating a global phone directory, is super frustratingly hard. I mean shouldnt it be a database hosted on the server(PBX) distributed to the handsets or looked up via the handsets? I feel like the documentation is pretty poor on this.

Phone not do it with Predictive Dialing.
You can search LDAP from contact phonebook (this work).

LDAP is not local phonebook, it is global phonebook keep on server (UCM here), it is limitless (depend on server HW) and seeing 10000+ contact there is normal in big corpo. LDAP is query system so it show result depending what you sent to system.

Adding like 1000+ reply in predictive dialling can be HW impossible that why GS do not add it. I simply not know. Also predictive dialling show you numbers only (it is for dial) while phonebook will search also letters.

AH ok. So we have about 200 or so numbers on the dial list (could scale this up and run a DB query for current clients for the last year, maybe another 400 or so) but predictive dialling is an absolute must for us. so do i drop the LDAP settings and go with the XML? so does this mean that the entire xml phonebook would be downloaded to each handset at the specified time interval and thus predictive dialing would occur? Im thinking that the double up on the handsets was due to inputting LDAP settings and XML settings? however with the xml settings theres no ability to set which fields are to be displayed or searched as there are on LDAP. argh. why cant this be pretty straightforward???

XML can be downloaded from external source in period (check settings in phone).
XML is restricted to local phonebook so you cannot change fields, but you are not forced to use it proper :>

You can use both but they are 2 different phonebooks. I cannot advice more as i have no idea what you want use and how.

LDAP manual:

BTW: you can change phonebook button to start with LDAP or make LDAP shortcut via VPK (then it will list phonebook from start).