Install Wiring

It would make things a lot easier if instead of using the screw down wire connectors there could be a standard network jack. I had the device up and running on my desk right away, but twice after screwing down the wire covering plate and mounting it to the wall something came loose and it stopped working. Each time, I had to take it back off the wall and re-tighten all the wiring. It’s up now, but kind of a pain in the butt compared to the other other SIP intercoms we’ve used that just take a standard ethernet cord.

May be, additional to the screw down wire connectors.

Would love to see an RJ45 connector inside, since for many installs, that’s half the wiring right there.

I have been asking for an RJ45 since the 3710 Beta phase. All the other door phones I’ve used have this feature. Even my installer doesn’t like the screws!

I don’t mind to screw down the wires myself. But either way be aware that you have a live network connection on the outside of your building. We’ve done installations on government buildings where regulation says we cannot do that. They don’t care about tampering detection, VLANs, MAC address filtering or whatever.

We used another major brand (which I shall not name to protect my privacy) which solved this. They have modules that can be put on DIN rails and are installed indoors in the fusebox. The network cable goes there.
Those modules are in fact the logic controller and outdoors you have a bracket with the camera, buttons and so on. Those are connected with a 20 wire or something data cable to the controller.
You can disassemble the door station entirely but still you’ll never get access to the network.

In most cases this is overkill. But when someone unauthorized screws off a GDS I’m happy there’s no RJ45 they can use straight away.

Having just received my unit in Australia that’s the first thing I thought of - a socket rather than screw connectors. I am used to the 2N units and the older ones have screws but the newer ones are sockets.

I Agree it would be a lot easier to install +1

Never really considered the risk of having a network connection available on the outside of the building, but that is a very legitimate concern (though not really one that applies in my situation). Still, the risk is essentially the same for an RJ-45 connector or terminal connectors. So I vote for the RJ-45!

The risk can be somewhat reduced by using security screws to mount the unit. The two screws on the bottom are torx security screws, but I actually didn’t realize that at first and removed them with a small flat head screwdriver. They’re poor security screws - the anti tamper pins should extend higher to prevent people from doing what I accidentally did.

Actually there are a few reasons why it should be a connector to screw down the wires.

What cable type are you using? The GDS is 10/100. You can use a CAT5E cable so you can put a male RJ45 on the cable. So far I agree.
But in new buildings mostly CAT6A FTP is used. You cannot/should not put a male RJ45 on CAT6(A) cables. Panduit has male connectors for CAT6 but they’re way too big to fit in the back of small devices such as a GDS anyways.

This means you end up with a cable on the other side of the wall with a female RJ45 connector. You need to install an outlet on the wall and make the hole in the wall big enough to put through a patch cord with the connectors already attached. On a pole outdoors for example this is not even possible at all.

As it is now you just put the CAT6(A) cable through the wall and screw down the wires. Much cleaner, easier and cheaper. If you’re using any of the other outputs on the GDS you need to work with extra cables and wires anyways.

I know there are a lot installers who don’t really care about cabling or don’t know any better. But the current connector is the best way to meet the standard.

@GH80, I don’t think anyone is going to win this argument. This discussion dates back to the original door phone Beta. Many of us want an RJ45 female connector there just like the ones found in other major door phones (e.g. N2, Axis, etc). Other like the idea of the screw down connector.

I see two easy solutions to this:

1. Replace the existing plate with one that has both connectors on it - marginal price increase but one SKU.

2. Provide a two plates (or have 2 SKUs); one with the connector and one with the RJ45 (or something that allows the screws to be replaced by an RJ45).

Personally, I’d like to see option 1, as it simplifies everyone’s life.

Run wire through small hole. Crimp on a connector. Plug into [non-existent] jack. Done.

Either way, the screw terminals should be replaced with spring blades.

Ethernet cable when folded up can broke, It’s better to put a RJ45 connector.

Here I link this thread with another thread discussing the same topic, soliciting your vote to improve in current case mode (I knew this is not a clean solution).

To get back on the security risk. We have a client who’s been a VoIP client with us for years with his own IPBX. He still has old analog door stations and wants to replace them by new IP door stations.

So we went there to have a look. The guy took out his screwdriver, unscrewed the door station. Put 2 wires together and the door went open.
Of course it did, that’s what a relay does. But he made it very obvious how quick you can get in. And for him that’s a no go anymore which I think everybody understands.

Unfortunately we couldn’t propose a GDS. Another brand solved this with an IP relay box (don’t know else to call it) with 4 relays. Their door station can use it over the network so at least the wiring of the electric lock is not outside anymore.

I’m really hoping for a similar solution from GS.

From a security point there is no benefit to having screw down terminals - the only way you’re going to stop someone from jumping the wires is, as GH80 said, by having an ip based relay. So, that being the case go with the RJ45! It’s so much easier / user friendly. And isn’t that really the market that Grandstream targets?