How can I set up an always-on hotline on a UCM6202?

Good afternoon. I need help setting up a UCM6202 to use a trunk as a hotline.

We have a hotline at a power plant that is connected on the other end to the dispatch center. When the handset is lifted on either end, it rings the phone on the other end automatically. We need to extend network on our side (the power plant side) over a fiber optics connection, so have purchased a UCM6202 and two GPX1615s. I am planning on connecting the hotline as a trunk in the UCM6202, and have the two GPX1615s in a call group which will ring simultaneously. But am a bit at a loss as to how to configure the UCM6202. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Hotlines are generally done by forcing the dial plan on the phone to dial something specific cell the handset is picked up. The PBX doesn’t matter except to route the call to the appropriate end point(s).

So make a ring group for all your phones and have the phone auto dial that ring group. All done. No trunks required unless you mean you need a SIP runkntonconnect to a remote PBX.

Yep ring gruop, but problem is power plant:
What is that system, how it make call ? How it should go to UCM ?

I’m having trouble with the outgoing ringing. Incoming, from the power plant, should be no problem as I would assume the UCM would treat it as a normal incoming call, since I’ve got it set up as an incoming trunk. But how to I set up the UCM and the dial plans on the SIP extensions to ‘dial’ if there is no need to dial? Am I making sense? The way this line works is that if you pick up the hand set, it automatically rings on the other side. The person making the call does not have to dial anything. Any suggestions?

The phone needs to be programmed so that when the handset it picked up, it dials some number. From there, it’s just a normal call. The PBX doesn’t need to be programmed specially, there’s no trunk involved, etc. The call goes to its SIP proxy (probably the PBX) and the PBX places the call exactly as if someone had dialed.

If you’re connecting two PBXes together (which is what I think you’re doing, but it’s unclear) then you need to connect a trunk between the two, then make PBX1 outbound routes that call PBX2 and vice versa. Then program the phone(s) at either ends to call extensions on the other PBX.

I think you’re complicating it, but I’m also not 100% sure what you are trying to do without a diagram.

With what you are using now you’d need to set the inter digit timeout to just dial, but I’m not sure that would work without anything initially dialed.

I’d just use a speed dial button and they just press it to call the other end.

There are adapters that can make analog phones do what you are saying but I don’t know if a SIP phone will do that.

Thanks, Smartvox. I don’t think I’ve explained correctly the situation… What we currently have is an analog phone extension in our power plant. We do not control the PBX… it is on the electrical company’s side. What I want to do is connect that analog line to our PBX as an analog trunk, and set up our PBX internally to be able to use two extensions for what used to be only one. This may not be the best way of doing what we need to do, but it’s the best I can think of at the time. So, in this configuration, I believe we would need to program the PBX to actually send a signal to the trunk.

Ooooooooh. Analog lines. Non-controlled PBXes. Okay, this complicates things! :slight_smile:

Grab a UCM6202, plug the analog line into one of the FXO ports, program a ring group to ring when a call comes in on that port, and program the phone(s) on your end (if required) to dial a number that routes out through the FXO connection.

I think that’s what you’re looking for.

Smartvox, exactly! I’ve got the ring groups set up. But outgoing is what’s giving me problems. I currently get ‘Your call could not be completed as dialed’ when I try accessing the FXO1. I’m pretty sure this is the UCM6202 telling me I’ve not set everything up properly.

ah, and in case it wasn’t already abundantly clear, I’m totally new at setting up the UCM6202. Never used one before, so while I hate to admit I need some hand-holding, I’ll go belly up and admit I’m a total nooby. Thanks for your patience!

If you’re using a FXO port then you’d need to set it up as a trunk and have corresponding inbound and outbound routes to make it function.

If you’re using a FXS port then you set it up as an extension and can set it up with call forwards.

As a FXO it won’t be able to call anything other than the other end very easily.
As a FXS extension it could still call other things like 911.

You wrote this up as I was writing up my reply. :wink:

My response was going to be: Use FXS instead of FXO and have the incoming call forward to a ring group. Much easier, and you can still use it for other calls.

Let me ask you.
What happens if you connect analogue phone to this plant line ?

[quote=“Marcin, post:13, topic:17327”]Let me ask you.
What happens if you connect analogue phone to this plant line ?[/quote]

Connecting an Analog phone to the plant line is the current setup. When you lift the receiver, it gives a dial tone, but automatically rings on the other end (power dispatch center/power company). The dispatch operator receives an incoming call and answers.

I’ve asked the company that installed the line to give me the technical details about the ring tone, etc., hoping that it’s a simple configuration issue not having the proper dial tone parameters set in the UCM.

My guess: Plant PBX have hot line.
When you pick-up line it call designated number.
Let’s turn this feature off from line and make FXO same dial.
Then set “Off-hook Auto Dial” call on desired phone with number + routing to FXO port.

Hello! I have this exact same issue, were you able to solve it? Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Please open a new thread and describe your needs and what you have tried.

After 4 years, it may be the same scenario, but not necessarily the exact same issue as there have been changes and enhancements to the UCM and phones.

I am closing this thread,