Help with Plantronics headset and EHS setup.

end-of-life

I have GXP2140 phones. The headsets are Plantronics Savi 745 with the APD-80 EHS (as specified by Plantronics).

When in headset mode on the phone, you can hear it ring in your ear on an incoming call. If you press the green phone pickup button on the phone everything works fine. If you hangup using the red speaker/hangup button, everything works fine.
BUT…during an incoming call, if you press the pickup button on the HEADSET, it will not pickup the call. It will connect/disconnect with the phone (meaning you can hear the ringing or not hear the ringing), but you cannot actually pickup the call. Same when you’re in a call…if you press the connect/disconnect button on the HEADSET, it will not hangup the call; only disconnect the headset from the phone.

If you were at a desk all day, it wouldn’t be a big deal, but you cannot pickup a call when you aren’t at the desk. Anyone know how to fix this?

I looked at the Plantronic’s site and came across this:
http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/kb/detail.jsp?vfurl=/articles/en_US/How_To/APD-80-Grandstream-EHS-Cable-How-to-Install&c=All&lang=en_US&region=us

It references the 2124 model, but perhaps applicable and close enough to the 2140 and your SAVI model.

I also looked for the GXP series specifically, but the URL is a 404 on the Plantronics site.

I would try the above and if not successful, call Plantronics or the distributor that sold the product for assistance.

Do you have a 85638-01 Adapter as well? My experience is that you have to have this to get remote call answer/hangup to work, which I pointed out to my local distrubutor, who then went and fixed some other customers that were having problems.

Mentioned in the how to guide, but doesn’t say required. I haven’t been able to get it to work without one.

http://www.grandstream.com/support/faq/common-questions/headset-compatibility

I have a GXP2160 with the Plantronics CS540, APD-80 EHS, and 85638-01 cable. I can confirm you need the cable to pickup and hangup using the headset button.

I’m having other problems with the setup. I’m not getting a ringing notification in the headset at all. It’s supposed to beep in my ear when the phone rings.

Also, picking up the call from the headset takes too long. As soon as I press the button on the headset the Plantronics base station relay clicks and tries to pick up the call. I hear a beep beep in the headset, then there’s a delay, then the base station clicks a few more times. After all that there is finally audio in the headset. It’s a total of about 4 seconds. And during that 4 seconds it sounds to the caller like the phone was picked up but nobody is saying “Hello”, so they think something is wrong. It’s far from ideal.

I have an older Plantronics headset with a Digium phone and it works perfectly.

[quote=“tcfi, post:5, topic:12356”]I have a GXP2160 with the Plantronics CS540, APD-80 EHS, and 85638-01 cable. I can confirm you need the cable to pickup and hangup using the headset button.

I’m having other problems with the setup. I’m not getting a ringing notification in the headset at all. It’s supposed to beep in my ear when the phone rings.

Also, picking up the call from the headset takes too long. As soon as I press the button on the headset the Plantronics base station relay clicks and tries to pick up the call. I hear a beep beep in the headset, then there’s a delay, then the base station clicks a few more times. After all that there is finally audio in the headset. It’s a total of about 4 seconds. And during that 4 seconds it sounds to the caller like the phone was picked up but nobody is saying “Hello”, so they think something is wrong. It’s far from ideal.

I have an older Plantronics headset with a Digium phone and it works perfectly.[/quote]

If you aren’t hearing ringing in the headset, I’d ask plantronics about that one.
I talked to plantronics about the delay last year and they told me that a delay of 1-4 seconds in normal and cannot be avoided. I have the same issue on other headsets I use as well.

This issue that it takes 4 seconds to pick up, and you hear the clicking in the middle of the 4 seconds, is absolutely a “Grandstream issue” it is not an issue with plantronics, you can take the same headset and connect to a Yealink or Polycom phone, and the headset will pick up right away, it is unacceptable from Grandstream to leave it that way, they are aware of the issue for months and they’re not doing anything about it,

Thanks for the confirmation, saves me spending hours trying different configs. I agree, this is completely unacceptable. Especially when this exact headset and EHS cable are listed as a “supported” headset setup. The caller thinks there’s a problem with the connection because no one is saying hello once the ringing stops.

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation, saves me spending hours trying different configs. I agree, this is completely unacceptable. Especially when this exact headset and EHS cable are listed as a “supported” headset setup. The caller thinks there’s a problem with the connection because no one is saying hello once the ringing stops.

Thanks[/quote]

That’s good to know, thank you.

This is what i got from Grandstream Support last month

I was just asking advice from our guys more familiar with headsets. Basically, that delay you are experiencing is normal on inbound calls. A call is coming in, you press to offhook, the signal has to be sent to the base and back, by the time the calls is actually answered, that time has almost passed by. There’s really nothing else we’ll be able to adjust to decrease that delay unfortunately. My apologies.

imagine Polycom saying that!!!

[quote=“Deut, post:10, topic:12356”]This is what i got from Grandstream Support last month

I was just asking advice from our guys more familiar with headsets. Basically, that delay you are experiencing is normal on inbound calls. A call is coming in, you press to offhook, the signal has to be sent to the base and back, by the time the calls is actually answered, that time has almost passed by. There’s really nothing else we’ll be able to adjust to decrease that delay unfortunately. My apologies.

imagine Polycom saying that!!![/quote]

Wow. Looks like I’ll be swapping these Grandstreams out for Polycoms, Aastras or another brand that takes the needs of enterprise users seriously.

The delay really makes the headset almost unusable to answer incoming calls. I have to answer with the handset and then switch to the headset to avoid the ridiculous delay.

Grandstream any update if this will ever be fixed?

Grandstream any update if this will ever be fixed?

Hi,
I’m experiencing the same issue with GXP2130 phones. Firmware version 1.0.5.23.
Even if Bluetooth is good, comparing it to a Plantronics set is unreal.

I’ve heard about the APV-63 (Avaya compatible cable) being used with Grandstream phones. Is it OK?
I’d, really like to get feedback of some people who tried it. I’ll try to get my hands on one to check it myself too.

Or else my client will ask for better. Unfortunately I’ll have to shop elsewhere. That delay is unacceptable.

Will grandstream ever have a fix for the plantronics issue??

I have successfully used Grandstream phones and Plantronics headsets together for years, although understanding the intent, nuances and effect of Grandstream headset settings has not always been easy. So, I offer my detailed notes to save others vast frustration. BTW, I don’t recall ever encountering a 4 second delay.

Plantronics CS500 CS540 CS545 Savi EHS Electronic Hook Switch Headset Adapter Cable for Grandstream GXP2124 GXP2100 GXP2160 GX21xx Phones
Part Number: 87327-01
Model Number: APD-80
$79.95 MSRP
$50.37 Street

Plantronics Headset EHS Adapter companion cable also needed for Grandstream GXP2124 GXP2100 GXP2160 GXP21xx in addition to the 87327-01 adapter cable
Part Number: 85638-01
Ingram Micro: $8.19

Proper web interface configuration settings for GXP2160 Plantronics headset:
Settings / Audio Control / Headset
HEADSET Key Mode Toggle Headset/Speaker (see below)
Headset Type Plantronics EHS
Always Ring Speaker Yes (incoming call ring will sound on both phone’s built-in speaker AND headset)

HEADSET Key Mode to Toggle Headset/Speaker enables incoming call ring (aka call alert aka call indicator) to be heard on headset. Pressing the Headset button on the GXP2160 causes a headset icon to display in the upper left corner of the screen. When the phone is in Headset mode, pressing the orange speakerphone button activates the headset (audio is routed to the headset). Pressing the headset button again, disables/takes the phone out of headset mode, returning the function of the speaker phone button to its default behavior - audio routes to phone’s built-in speaker.

So, when a receptionist wants to walk around wearing the headset and hear incoming calls ring in the headset, her phone must be in headset mode (and the above Audio Control settings must be configured in the GXP2160).

Enjoy!

Nuit,
Why is the “85638-01” cable needed on the GXP 21xx series of phones? For what I understand this is just an extension cable needed on some phones to extend the cable.

Thanks.

@nuit but if you pick up an incoming call from the “headset with the button”, there will be a 4 second delay.

@Deut I’ve never seen that unfortunate 4 second delay with either a CS500 or CS545 headset on a GXP2100 or GXP2160.

@Computer Elite Jason Why is the 85638-01 cable needed? Good question. I wondered the same thing. After days of thinking it’s ridiculous that yet another measly cable is necessary for the headset to work, I bought the damn cable and moved on. :wink:

Ok thanks, I am going to get one and give it a try! :slight_smile: