Handset earpiece sound quality

ip-communications

Hello,

I’ve noticed that the earpiece on the DP720 handset seems to add a lot of bass to the remote party’s voice, making it sound booming or muffled. This is more an issue with male voices than female voices. It doesn’t happen when using the speaker or a headset, which both sound more balanced. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it adjustable somehow? I didn’t see any setting in the GUI but perhaps via the XML configuration file?

Some DECT phones have an “equalizer” setting to adjust the audio characteristics; I’m looking for something like this to reduce the bass frequencies in the earpiece.

I’m using the G.711 codec, though I don’t think this is relevant.

Thanks,
cinergi

You are right, the earpiece audio quality is not so good at the moment. We changed some very low-level settings to improve the speaker audio gain, that is, we cannot use XML configure the earpiece audio and cannot change this in near future.

We have just started using these phones and have the latest firmware installed - 1.0.3.23

The voice quality in the earpiece is indeed terrible. It sounds like it’s being overexerted for the size of the speaker/enclosure or some other physical constraint.

Some EQ on the bass levels would help it quite a lot. We were considering buying more of these phones for the base station but are now reconsidering.

[quote=“mudbath, post:3, topic:20053”]We have just started using these phones and have the latest firmware installed - 1.0.3.23

The voice quality in the earpiece is indeed terrible. It sounds like it’s being overexerted for the size of the speaker/enclosure or some other physical constraint.

Some EQ on the bass levels would help it quite a lot. We were considering buying more of these phones for the base station but are now reconsidering.[/quote]

Yes exactly - it sounds like the bass frequencies are over-emphasized. I did a test with a 0-4kHz sweep using the G.711 codec, and the earpiece seems capable of reproducing all the frequencies. The problem is just that the bass is so strong that it overpowers the higher frequencies. Some EQ should indeed fix this.

-cinergi

Hi all,

I have just deployed six DP720 with two DP750 and the users asked for earpieces/headsets. Could you please send me any info on how to get ANY kind of earpiece/headset?

I am also baffled because on the specs it is stated that the DP720 comes with a 3.5mm jack for headset connection, but I cannot find it! Any info on this will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

If memory serves, it is under a rubber cap on or near the top of the phone.

drostoker many thanks for your reply!

I will look into it tomorrow!

Cheers!

So have we not found a solution to this problem? I have just installed 2 handsets in a sales counter but the sound is muffled and no apparent fix…Please help

Make sure it is on the latest firmware as this issue has been addressed previously. If still too quiet please advise or contact helpdesk.

Hello,

OP here. Just wondering if this issue has been resolved in the past 2 years since the last post? There have been several firmware updates. I stopped using these phones in 2018 because the sound quality bothered me, but I’d like to revisit them because it is otherwise a good package. The earpiece sound quality is a key consideration, however.

Thanks!

I suggest you to use DP752 and DP722, our upgrade model from DP750/DP720. The new model just cost slightly more, but the RF and audio is better. I think the DP722 does not have this issue.

We do have improved DP720’s audio since 1.0.7.x FW. But haven’t verified the earpiece audio.

DP722 has better RF and Speaker hardware. DP722 and DP720 share the same FW file, their GUI and usage are identical. Or, if your budget allows, DP730 is 2.4 inch screen model with better RF and Speaker HW than DP722.

Thank you, I will look into the DP752 and DP722.

By the way, does the DP722 have a backlit keyboard? I know the DP720 does not, so this would be another advantage of the 722.

Thanks
cinergi

No, DP722 still does not support backlight.
DP730 do support backlight, vibration, proximity and accelerometer sensors.