GWN7610 Client Isolation Internet Mode?

I have an ActionTec router for FIOS.
I do not use the wireless transceiver in the router.
I wish to add a wireless access point to my network in a way that prevents any wireless client from being able to access any of the wired devices connected to the ActionTec router.
In other words, I only want the wireless clients to be able to access the internet, not the wired computers and devices and not any other wireless devices.
I was recommended the Grandstream GWN7610.
But the instructions in the manual for Client Isolation - Internet Mode show that the wireless clients cannot access other wireless clients, cannot access management of the access point, and cannot access the router.
It does not specifically state whether the wireless clients can or cannot access a wired client.
It also does not specify whether this will all still work if the router is something other than the GWN7000.

So can I use my ActionTec FIOS router with the GWN7610 and only allow Wireless Devices to access the internet and nothing else?

TIA

Hi, SmallNetwork,

Internet mode will prevent wireless clients from accessing any wired client in local LAN too. Router doesn’t have to be GWN7000.
And yes, you can.

Hi GS_Tian,

Thank you for answering my question so clearly.
I really appreciate it.

Two more questions…

In reading about Ubiquity products, it seems that some people who purchased from Amazon discovered that Ubiquity will not honor the warranty if bought from Amazon.

Is the Grandstream warranty valid if the GWN7610 is purchased from Amazon ?

Also, the Grandstream POE-Injector is advertised as being 48 vdc, but the manual for the GWN7610 specifies 24 vdc 1A.

What POE injector are people using with the GWN7610 ?

TIA

The warranty is dependent on the reseller. There are many on Amazon and a good number that are not authorized. I do not know the answer if buying direct from Amazon.

PoE is 48v, a transformer can also be used if PoE is not available.

Thank you, Ipneblett.

Now I see that the adapter voltage and current are different than the POE voltage and current.

The power adapter is not easy to find.

https://www.technooutlet.com/tdvtsn8007.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx4iv9vuH4AIVwpCfCh1QFwrbEAQYAiABEgL6CPD_BwE

The price is comparable to a POE injector.
Other than having to run two wires, is there any disadvantage ?

TIA

Disadvantage to what?

Me, I use PoE, but it needs to be PoE+ to get the full benefit of the AP. I use PoE switches as it only requires the one Ethernet cable and I seldom have power near where a AP would be located and have no desire to try and splice or put an extension cable or move an electrical outlet. Further, I can have a UPS located at the switch which when co-located with the other equipment (router, modem, PBX, switches, etc, allows me to keep the internal network running for a period of time as well as protect the equipment from power related issues.

the problem is that GS does not specify which exact power supply to use, doing “do it yourself” risks only to spoil the GWN and invalidate the Warranty, it is fundamental that GS declare exactly which power supply to use.

@damiano70, FWIW, in the past when I’ve run into this lack of information, I’ve just opened a helpdesk ticket and they provided the info.

they did not give me any information, given that they answered you can post your answer?
(which should then be a public info on the manuals, not on request)

It is a positive tip 24VDC with a 1A rating. It is nothing special and you could use more than 1A if that is the only thing you can get as the device will only consume what it needs. This is not an uncommon scenario as you are working with DC power and to have them spec a transformer means that they would need to source one for every country where sold where the power grid is different and/or the spade lugs are.

The ideal way is to provide a transformer just as they do with the phones ( I can only speak to the NA market), but then make it a universal switching supply that comes with a swap-in/out set of plug configurations. It would obviously raise the price and I suspect that unlike a phone, more folks use PoE when using the AP so many might pay a premium for it that would go unused. I do not know if they provide a transformer for the phones in the various EMEA and AP markets and the derivatives in each. Maybe they do supply a universal PS with the phones.

While I do not use a transformer, my distributor apparently thought of the need and sourced one that they carry for such use.

Smartnetwork- the transformer you posted may or may not work. I see that you are from the NA market and the picture in the link you posted is not showing US outlet style spade lugs.
You can find these to be readily available on Amazon, Ebay and other outlets just do a search for “24V 1A power supply”. There will be many and you can filter based upon user rating and then read the details to insure positive tip. Here is one such example -

https://www.amazon.com/Richer-R-Universal-AC100-240V-5-52-1mm-Temperature/dp/B07F9P2L9Z/ref=sr_1_41?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1548424565&sr=1-41&keywords=24v+dc+1a+power+supply&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011/

The issue is that these are wall mounted transformers and virtually all made in China, long-term reliability may be a concern, but at the price point, may not be an issue.

If it were me, i would opt for:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ethernet-Injector-Distances-TPE-115GI/dp/B00BK4W8TQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548424872&sr=1-3&keywords=poe%2B%2Binjector&th=1

My need for a 24V PS in the future is likely not much, but for a PoE+ injector, it is likely to be more so.

In any event good luck.

Sorry for any confusion @damiano70; I was making a general comment. I have never queried about the GWN7610 as I always use POE.

@lpneblett can you clarify why POE+? What benefits do I get over POE with the GWN7610?

:wink:

Thank you for this link.

I too would be interested in the answer to this.

The device is rated for 13.8 watts. 802.3af is spec’ed to 15.4 watts from the delivering device and 12.95 at the receiving device. As you can see, there is a difference. However, while I assume the device’s current needs grow as the number of clients connecting and the demands placed thereon also grow, I assume the 13.8 is at full load.and the 12.95 is at the end of a 100 meter cable run. So, I anticipate that most 802.3af implementations will be fine.

The issue to me is that while I seldom (if ever) expect full load to be reached I have no way to know at what point it may come about and to me the added cost of a device to provide 802.3at to overcome any margin error of cable resistance, patch panels, connector issues and the GWN load is worth it relative to my time if ever called upon to troubleshoot some intermittent hard to find problem. Most of the switches I buy have some number of ports that can provide PoE+ against their total power budget and by habit I make it a point to insure that the APs and/or cameras get this association. Whether or not the 7610 will ever call upon the need for class 4 power is unknown to me. I do note that the 7600 has the same current draw on the spec sheet as the 7610 and makes no reference to being PoE+ supportive, but the reality is that 802.3at also supports the af need as well. .

If no one knows the answer to this, could anyone recommend a U.S. online vendor for the GWN7610 that is an authorized dealer so that the warranty would be valid?

Where located in the US?

Northeast, but any online vendor in the U.S. would be fine.

As far as on-line, I guess you will have to do homework to see and then check.
http://www.grandstream.com/online-marketplace-seller-validation

Most of us that are resellers are not using on-line as you have to be specifically authorized to do that and the amount of work involved to update and stay competitive is a problem as folks shopping for price alone forget about the warranty and support that a authorized reseller will provide until its too late,

The resellers buy through distribution channels that are also GS authorized. There is a minimum advertised price policy (MAP) which is what one who is established with GS can advertise a product for (lowest price) and the GWN on Amazon is well below that as reported by any of my 3 distributors.However, given Amazon’s clout it could be that they are under a different arrangement with GS. While there is a MAP, it does not preclude a reseller from selling below the MAP, we just are to supposed to advertise it below the MAP.