Group Voicemail (spoiler alert >>> WHY IS IT NOT FIXED <<<)

At the moment there does not seem to be any benefit over using a simple extension mailbox … anyone using other options to replace this feature?

@drostoker I have logged a ticket. I was curious if the 5 year old ticket had had any replies. I have now added mine to the list …

I use an extension mailbox for that, however you can only have 10 phones see the voicemail as it will only allow 10 sip connections to a single extension number, it also means using a SIP account on the phone, which is ok until you have 3-6 group mailboxes, then you have a problem.

I logged it again today at the UCM63xx webinar, the manager of support (hhuynh@grandstream.com) wanted me to email them, so i did telling them to call me as 5 years of tickets, messages and forums posts have not resolved, it, i suggested they take the time to actually speak to me about it to get a fix, they have my number in that email

Ive re-opened tickets referencing the 5 year old, we even have responses on here saying “they are looking in to it”, remember though they have there new toy to play with now, i told them to fix the old ones before they go launching new stuff.

Hi

Thought i would past a last update on this… WE GOT IT WORKING.

We are moving all clients away from Grandstream in to Sangoma PBX system and phones, the reason for this? well Grandstrema have no want to fix this, the PBX “might” support it, but its “Monitor Voicemail” thats missing in the Grandstream phones, so that means removing all items branded Grandstream from the clients site, as the Grandstream phones still wont monitor Group Voicemail in the Sangoma PBX.

Thanks for sitting on this bug i raised YEARS ago Grandstream, all call center and clients above 10 users will now have Sangoma installed, we are just working with clients now to have Grandstream removed to get them working as they had before on freePBX.

Side note + bonus feature, Sangoma PBX systems have VPN server in it as well, so remote phones connect flawlessly without the need of extra hardware, firewalls or any cloud based services…

I used this method for Group Voicemails and it works fine. It just requires one key for group message notification and another key to read the messages. 300 and 306 are Group Voicemail ID’s and the other keys are for reading the messages.

8:13 AM as I read this and I’ve only had my second sip of coffee. Please forgive a possibly stupid question.

Why do you need this? If you program the voicemail button, can’t you just press the button and it will dial?

Theres no “monitor voicemail” BLF button settings, so if you want to monitor a “group” voicemail how do you do it? thats the reason… the work around is to create a dummy extension, then assign that extension to the dummy extension account, problem is you can only have 10 phones in to a single account, so only 10 phones can ever see that voicemail account / icon.

The whole point of “group voicemail” is its not an extension, purely a location to store voicemails for a GROUP, so you should be able to have an unlimited amount of phones checking in to that voicemail which the work around cant do.

Also the work around uses a SIP account on the phone which creates other issues like call waiting and notification of other calls coming in when all the SIP accounts are used for a “work around” dummy extension system,

This doesnt show the MWI for the group voicemail though does it?

Thats the whole reason to have a BLF “Monitor Voicemail” setting which isnt in the GrandStream phones and thats why the phones do not work with the Sangoma PBX, Monitor Voicemail is a basic functionally of Asterisk for Group Voicemail, so i have no idea why Grandstream didnt bother to get that working, its a necessity for large organisations like there UCM “appears” to be aimed at.

Call center, 50 users, single voicemail box = all 50 phone see the SINGLE VOICEMAIL BOX, message is cleared all 50 phones MWI turns off.

This is identical as Grandstream building buses with a door for each seat, buses dont work like this, how to you take a fair from paying clients, they can just go out there own door, then claiming they see “no reason to have a single door at the front” when clearly thats how buses have always worked by every other company, so when they buy that bus they want it to work the same, not re-invent how to take money from paying clients.

Couple things.

Your bus analogy sounds awesome.

The short statement is. Your client is crazy for wanting this. You can support them moving to another system but, that does not remove the fact this is crazy.

I’ve both worked in and managed call centers. The larger the group, the more willing the staff are to crap on their work.

When a message comes in, I want to track who is taking responsibility for the message or assign responsibility. I want follow up.

Voice messages go into freshdesk (ticketing system) and come to me. I assign who manages the call back. I follow up. Simple management.

50 people with access to simply delete a message is crazy.

Call center management is a tricky business. Knowing that 10% (minimum) of your staff are always trying to dodge work. 10% (minimum) are willing to take action that harms the centre.

Tracking is everything.

How you run your call centers isnt the same as industry does it, i have companies located in multiple countries wanting group voicemail as thats how they always done it, thats how the system was put in, thats how they want it. Grandstream wont do it, so its removed, the feature has never been fixed, so its taken it will never do it, ergo, the moment a client wants a group voicemail, the system isnt even looked at, we found another manufacture. We also make it very clear up front if they think they will need group voicemail, we wont install Grandstream so we found the potential client tells us to not quote for them, we use Sangoma. Most clients over 10 staff say its likely they will need it.

How you run a call center or not isn’t the issue, the issue is that there is no way to monitor the group mailbox. It can fill with messages unless someone actively removes them - there is no remove on email either (as an individual). I also don’t like how it sends a copy to each member … who gets to return the message and how are others notified? Very odd. I expected to use it as a group mailbox that a group could have a BLF key to monitor (sales team, orders, support … etc).

That is THE WHOLE POINT of this thread, this works on every other system but not Grandstream, so the fix, move to another brand that “Monitor Voicemail” BLF is supported on both endpoints and PBX.

yes. I agree with your posts.

Not to be contrary, but there is a use for it in its current implementation.

I am not a fan of it either and try not to use it as it causes more confusion and coordination than most are willing to put forth. But…

The only use for it is when there is a need to communicate with a group for a common purpose where all are equally affected. I have a couple of clients that use it to send certain directives out to various groups or all to make an announcement. In essence, they use it as a form of verbal voice mail or perhaps a “silent” page (is there such a thing?), but alas someone, somewhere, somehow has to shoulder the burden of managing the group Vm box and again this is where it falls short. It’s like a big septic tannk that fills up and has to be cleaned out as the drain field is inadequate to handle the waste so someone has to do the dirty work (one of my clients described it like this).

I prefer the other implementations that Asterisk has and that others who have wrapped a GUI around it have managed to do.

it would be nice if there was an option to keep the vm in the group mailbox or delete it upon forwarding. the deleting upon forward would be best…

My preference would be a BLF monitor option. Maybe assign extensions that have a password bypass. Others need to use a password.