GDS3710 - Not Weatherproof?

@girarar:

Here you are:
http://www.grandstream.com/sites/default/files/Resources/gds_series_accessories_datasheet_english.pdf

Required In-Wall Space: 99.8mm (3,93 inches) x 193.88mm (7.63 inches), 35mm deep (1.38 inches)

The thickness of the GDS3710 is 36mm, the in-wall mounting kits need to sink in to allow a little thickness of the face plate so the whole installation will be flushed with the wall.

We do lack experience in designing the “goose neck” or “post” installation scene, sorry about this.

I think all those mounting cases you guys mentioned above should work (beauty is another issue) as long as the back does not have holes and gaps sealed with silicon glue. But of course, the sticking out edge will help, especially the top edge will help prevent sun shining directly into lens to make it useless.

Again, thank you for using GDS3710 and support Grandstream.

Thanks for the pointer to that. I was hoping to avoid having to cut into a panel which the in-wall mount requires. I think just a surface mount where a single hole in the rear was drilled would work well, if a rainguard and wiring cavity behind the plate were present.

The other mount also has a key to open the face which is nice - I can wire alarm contacts on the back to alarm if someone opened it without my permission, but maybe front mounted screws are probably just as good I suspect. I can mount alarm contacts on that too.

I am taking a bit of a risk with the GDS3710 instead of a normal doorking etc… unit, but I like the HTTP API for triggering relays etc… If I have one ask it would be to fix the ONVIF profile so blueiris or a normal CCTV NVR could record the video without the device crashing. See this post: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/grandstream-doorbell-video-intercom-gds3710-do-not-buy.34754/

thanks,
mike

@fresnoboy: The review was based on firmware 1.0.4.9 back in 11/2018. Now it is 04/2019 and almost 6 months or half-year passed, the current firmware is 1.0.5.6, I think most of the issue already fixed. The ONVIF or VLC issue already addressed and I seems no problem to using VLC to view the video for quite a long time. If you have the ONVIF blueiris (sorry I don’t it), maybe you can take another try with the latest firmware 1.0.5.6.

Again, thank you for using GDS3710.

Great! If it works out for me, I’ll post a positive review on the same forum. You have a great device - it ticks all the boxes (ONVIF camera, relay controls for gates, HTTP control of relays and access, wired ethernet, PBX integration, and RFID (which is really great)).

The one thing that’s missing is NFC, so I could have my android or iphone act as a key. Then I don’t even need to hand out fobs etc…

thanks,
mike

I received the new unit. While I had it down I decided to make Rev A. I extended the sun shield and went ahead and welded screws in from the backside and ground them flush. Looks better and more secure.

That looks very professional!

Thank you.

Wow, looks awesome! Thank you for using GDS3710. Feel free to contact GS if having any issue in the future, we will try the best to help.

@GS_Guy, perhaps Grandstream can come out with an official pole mount for the door phones…

@drostoker: Thanks for the suggestion! Will send feedback to engineering to consider this. Thank you for supporting Grandstream!

Hi, bringing this back up as I seem to have the exact same problem. 3 month old GDS3710 but wall mounted instead using the official kit. Its had a few short showers but two days ago there was a much heavier downpour and I’ve now lost the microphone!

I’ve not raised a ticket yet as I’m wondering what the outcome of this is terms of long term reliability?

20190426_104603|583x500

There are water residue inside the small microphone hole and the water surface tension covered the microphone therefor it would not pick up audio. Just leave it for a few days and let it dry to see whether the microphone will be back. In most case it will be back when the water dried. If you cannot wait, using hair dry to blow a few minute (not set too hot or too high temperature, cold wind is good). Or just use the 'dust off" electronics compressed-gas duster to blow the small microphone hole to blow off the residue water, the microphone should be back. (The microphone is water proof but will not pick up sound if there are water residue inside the hole blocking it picking up sound).

Please advise whether the microphone working again after using duster or let it dry for a few days.

Thank you for using GDS3710.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:Completely disagree. It was at least 2 weeks from the time the microphone quit working until Grandstream got their RMA process figured out to send me a replacement. I had already backed it up and did a factory reset on it during that time and the microphone still didn’t work. An IP66 certification doesn’t have a clause that says “a hairdryer can be use to restore functionality after contact with water”.

Humm ok so the audio has returned today but what does that say about the design of the microphone / casing?

It’s not exactly useful to make an outdoor intercom that stops working for 2/3 days when its rains! What you are basically saying is that I can only have visitors if the weather is sunny else you won’t be able to hear them.

What are you doing to fix this problem? Grandstream need to make a retrofit cover, case or other modification to correct this else frankly, its not fit for purpose.

@Mirez: Agree. That is the problem and the lesson learned. We will follow customer’s suggestion and comment and try to resolve this issue.

Thank you for using GDS3710.