GDS3710 - Not Weatherproof?

I selected the GDS3710 because it seemed robust and they claimed it came with IP66 certification:
“The IP66 certified weatherproof casing will also protect the device from all conditions including rain, snow, sleet and hail.”

I installed it at my gate on a post that offers protection for the unit on 4 sides, as a typically gate entry post does. I followed their instructions; using the rubber gaskets and the frame back cover. Everything worked perfectly for 2 weeks until we had one rain storm and now the speaker and microphone don’t work (neither during a call or the keypad tones).

I emailed their “Engineering” support, and a guy named Daniel responded:
“Did you remove power from unit during this period of Rain time ?
According to :
Pag 3 > http://www.grandstream.com/sites/default/files/Resources/GDS3710_QIG.pdf
• Do not expose this device to temperatures out the range of
-30 °C to 60 °C for operating and -35°C to 60°C for storage
• Do not expose this device to environments outside of the
following humidity range: 10-90% RH (non-condensing)”

#1 I can’t believe they actually tried to claim that rain and RH are even close to the same thing, and implying it is somehow my fault for not unplugging an outdoor unit during a rainstorm.
#2 I can’t believe this unit is so junky that you can’t install it outside and expect it to survive one rainstorm when they claimed IP66 certification.

Has anyone else had similar problems, or did I just get a defective unit?

Could you help to upload some photos of the installation scene (Viewing from Front, Back, Side, Top, etc.) ? That worth quite a lot word description and will help to see the root cause of the problem. Thanks!

Here you go.

D

Could you help to take a photo from back? That is probably the place water getting in.

The top and both sides seems OK for the DIY installation case, although top sun shade could be made a little longer.

Here is the post where someone made a 3D print Sun Shape. But that GDS3710 is installed on wall, not a goose neck or post installation like yours:
GDC 317 with Solution direct sunlight

Question: How the cables be wired in your DIY post? Did you seal with silicon for all the gaps on the back where crews or cables going through?

What I did for the cables was use these rubber gaskets that came with it. So the answer is it is not IP66 certified. That’s what I suspected.

@girarar: Could you provide the photo showing the back of the post illustrating the installation? I am suspect the DIY installation is not fully correct.

The GDS3710 is designed surface or embedded installation, meaning the gaskets is INSIDE the wall, where usually no water but just little damp. If installation like your case, you need to apply silicon to seal all the gaps or joins to prevent water coming in from back. Yes, the BACK side of the gasket is NOT IP66 and GDS3710 unfortunately does NOT support such ‘goose neck’ outdoor installation. But if you use silicon to seal all the joints or gaps or connections from BACK, the water should not get in. Also make sure the box you DIYed has dripping holes at bottom therefore NOT allows water accumulate and stayed inside when there is heavy rain, otherwise if water accumulated or stayed inside the metal boxes and once the water accumulated to a lever overflow and higher than the gaskets where cables going out, problem will happen. Just want to make sure with you in heavy rains the water will NOT be accumulated inside the box showed in the picture.

If the GDS3710 is still under warranty, please contact Grandstream Support to see what else can help you.

Thank you for using GDS3710.

#1 I see nothing in the installation about silicone.
#2 IP66 certifications don’t allow you to rely on external features to meet the certification.
Support is trained the same way you are. They continue to waste my time asking me to provide this and that. They made me send them a video of the microphone not working?!?!! I will follow up with a BBB complaint and a claim with my credit card.

So thinking about this more. Tell me which scenario seems most likely to you:
#1 Rain drops entered under a tightened nut, down a tight fitting screw and exited either around a secured screw head or between a flat steel plate and the mounting plate. Traveled 3". Then it either went in under a cover secured with a gasket or alternatively, traveled down a cable, squeezed in between a cable and tight fitting gasket, then back up the cable to get in the unit. Once inside it made it’s way down to the bottom of the unit to the microphone with enough volume to destroy it without disrupting any other functionality.
#2 Water came in the microphone holes and destroyed the microphone.

Thanks for all the photos provided to illustrate the situation. The last photo provided really helps.

I think #2 is the mostly liked case. So the microphone not working now, how about speaker, also not working?
If let the device dry a while, will the microphone restored to work?

Looking for the 1st photo, if the top and side edges could extend out a bit more (like 20mm more), it will be helpful for sun shade provide a little protect, but this is not the problem.

Please contact Granstream Support for replacement RMA. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We did pass the water spill or inject testing when doing the IP66 certificate. Unfortunately you had a bad unit.
If possible, we want this unit back for more diagnose and analysis so we can learn from the failure.

Could you help to provide the support ticket number if you already have one? Thanks!

Thanks for your help. The speaker was not working at all immediately after the rain. However, it is now working at least intermittently. Hopefully support will sometime come to the same conclusion and I can get this resolved.

When I mount the new one, I’ll follow your advice and seal the screws.

Agreed on the extensions. I actually found that piece of metal in my father’s scrap metal pile, and couldn’t believe how well it fit with minor modifications. I went back and forth whether to use it, or create one from scratch. Decided it was good enough.

If you already have the ticket number ,please provide to me. If not, open one and provide the ticket number.
I will help you to resolve this problem once the ticket number provided.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Your installation scene is a good example for us to learn.

PM’ed it to you.

On the next iteration, it would be great if there was an alternative approach to the mounting bracket or maybe if the fastener cutouts in the back of the unit were larger.
Having the screws protruding from the backside like I did obviously makes it less secure; someone could easily knock those off and steal the unit in seconds. I considering turning the screws around, welding them in and grounding them flush. However, it would have required a really small screw and nut to be able fit into the fastener slots on the back of the unit and allow enough play to find the tabs. Also considered just welding it in, but I figured I’d warp that little thin piece so much I couldn’t mount the unit to it.
At the very least, it would be great if the template showed the clearance required to engage the tabs on top of the mounting bracket. My second image shows the absolute minimum clearance required at the top of the unit to install it. There was probably less than a millimeter clearance when i had the unit high enough to engage the tabs. It was a case of measure 5 times, drill once to get it that way.

@girarar: Thank you and appreciate your suggestion. I will surely forward them to the engineering team for consideration and improvement.

The mounting, especially the “goose neck” or “post” installation like your scene, is not considered in the beginning of the design and this is the weak point in this product.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will replace your failed device with a new one.

FYI. Still getting run around. They finally said the RMA was approved and they were shipping a unit. Asked repeatedly for a shipping number. Never gave one. They just updated it back from approved to processing. This is ridiculous.

@girarar: Sorry for the delay caused by company procedures. This RMA is advanced RMA therefore need accounting department involved to approval first before shipping department can start handling, but this needs Support to submit the RMA into the company management software system first, because all these are able to back tracked.

A new unit will be shipped to you soon, please be patient. Thank you very much!

I’m about to deploy a couple of these as gate entry stations as well, so this thread is super useful.

I was planning on mounting the unit on a housing that would then mount to the gooseneck, something like this: https://www.pedestalpro.com/product/mc-cs-08-e

That unit has 3" of space behind the front panel to mount cables and such and is weather tight, as well a mounting holes in the back that would fit a gooseneck mounting post.

If I mounted a GDS3710 on this, I am hoping to avoid the issues that the OP raised in this thread. Do folks think this is a good way to mount things?

thanks!
mike

@fresnoboy The unit is 6.8" tall. Since that box is only 8" tall I’m not sure you would have room for the key without hanging it off the bottom. You might just be able to offset to the side next to the key. Ascetically that might look a little strange.

@fresnoboy I wonder if you were to get this:
https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/ve-5x10-pnl/

If you could then surface the GDS3710 with the wall mount:

It don’t see the depth of the wall mount anywhere. @GS_Guy may be able to provide that.