GDMS Is a UCM necessary

I have just learned that the GDMS exists… of course right after I purchased two UCM6202.

My question is do I need to use a UCM to be able to use the GDMS service? I am just trying to get my head around this “app”

No you don’t. You can use it to manage supported endpoints (e.g. I use it to support some phone configs on 3CX).

With a 62xx you can also use it to provision extensions on the UCM.

What you cannot do is use the Remote Connect features of GDMS.

Hope this helps.

Dear user,

Thank you for using GDMS platform! As Drostoker claimed, you do not need to use a UCM to be able to use the GDMS service. You can use GDMS service to manage your phones. For more details, please refer to the GDMS User Guide below:

http://www.grandstream.com/sites/default/files/Resources/GDMS_User_Guide.pdf

Thanks for your testing!

Thank you!

The UCM is the phone system. GDMS is just a tool to provision phones and ATA’s as you don’t need a phone system to use GS phones. Some companies might have hosted services they are using. GDMS (Grandstream Deployment Management System) is just the mechanism to configure a phone while it’s being shipped to the customer. Get everything setup, when the phone arrives and starts up, the phone will connect with GDMS and look for a config.

GDMS will not be sufficient for answering calls or setting up call queues or anything like that. Just provisioning. I should add, GDMS can now be used to provision UCM’s but, I have not played with that function much to date other than to comment that it’s there.

Dear user,

Thanks for your overview for GDMS platform! I’d like to add some more comments about the GDMS platform. Besides provisioning features, users can also use GDMS platform to manage the devices, and monitor the device status. UCM62xx currently is not compatible with GDMS platform, which means users can only synchronize the extensions to the GDMS platform, but users cannot associate the UCM62xx to the GDMS platform. UCM63xx is fully compatible with the GDMS platform now. Thanks for all your testing!

Thank you!