First Impressions - GXW4501

• When I first boot up the unit, the default password has somehow been changed. I have to do a factory reset from the front menu to get it back.
  • Unit was set for Simplified Chinese as default language after the reset.
  • I have not figured out how to integrate this to our lab UCM. I can’t find any way to set the PRI on the 4501 as trunks that can be used by the UCM. Aren’t the PRI channels supposed to be fed thru as SIP trunks for IP PBXs?
  • There are inbound routes for pattern matching, but there are no options for destination.
  • Feature Suggestion: There should be a “right-to-left” match pattern for inbound as older PRI setups with telco will only send 4 or 7 digits.
  • Feature Suggestion: There should be an option for calling ID pass through on outbound calls.

Hi, John,

Thanks a lot for your input here.
Below are my comment for your questions.

• I have not figured out how to integrate this to our lab UCM. I can’t find any way to set the PRI on the 4501 as trunks that can be used by the UCM. Aren’t the PRI channels supposed to be fed thru as SIP trunks for IP PBXs?

Currently for a non PRI UCM, the trunk between UCM and GXW4501 uses peered trunk (VoIP trunk).
So the deployment scenario should be like:
Internal company phone system -> (eth)UCM(eth) -(peer trunk)-> (eth)GXW4501(T1/E1) -> PSTN

• There are inbound routes for pattern matching, but there are no options for destination.

The gateway doesn’t have PBX like swtiching capablity. So when call comes in through inbound route, it always has to exit through a outbound route. So create an matching outbound route rule and designate it to a certain interface (VoIP trunk or T1/E1), which is the destination.

Does this mean the only way to set this up is to use the gateway only on a local network? One scenario we have in mind is to deploy the gateway in branch offices at different geographic locations for least cost routing with local PRI thru centrally hosted PBX. Peer trunk would mean there is no security and would open the PRI to outside. Is there any plans or options to support registered trunk?

Registered trunk is planned as per Registered SIP trunk missing

Hi, John,

Just want to confirm on your feature request above.
Is that a feature like: old PBX sending 7 digit without 3 digit area code though pri, and then GXW4501 from pri interface recieves it, and by knowing the predestinated area code, GXW4501 add prefix of 3 digit area code and send out through configured trunk?
This case can acturally configured by adding prefix to the pattern filter.

@johnsmb1 you can do this with stripping and pattern matching as it is today.

Edit: We’ve never seen a right-to-left PRI/T1 gateway device. Can you name one?

Just want to confirm on your feature request above.
Is that a feature like: old PBX sending 7 digit without 3 digit area code though pri, and then GXW4501 from pri interface recieves it, and by knowing the predestinated area code, GXW4501 add prefix of 3 digit area code and send out through configured trunk?
This case can acturally configured by adding prefix to the pattern filter.

On older orders of PRIs usually the telco will only send out the last 4 or 7 digits for DIDs.

By right-to-left I mean matching just the last number of digits on the DID. Usually when we have a block of DIDs it would be easier to just do a right-to-left or a masked match. We have scenarios where we have several blocks of DIDs which have different area codes and exchanges (NXX) so adding prefix might not be a “fix all” solution.

@johnsmb1 you can do this with stripping and pattern matching as it is today.
Edit: We’ve never seen a right-to-left PRI/T1 gateway device. Can you name one?

I cannot recall a gateway for right-to-left pattern matching, but it is available on Avaya and Cisco PBXs for DIDs on PRI/SIP.

Okay, I get what you’re saying. I think you’re asking for strip and prepend on the INCOMING routes, basically. Is that right?