Firmware 1.0.6.28 for GWN7000 released as Beta

firmware-release

Dear Grandstream Customers,

Firmware 1.0.6.28 for GWN7000 is now released as Beta. Here is the link to the release notes:

The firmware and release notes can be downloaded from:
http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware/

Please contact us should you have any issues. Thank you for your support for Grandstream products.

Technical Support
Grandstream Networks, Inc.

If I am using my GWN7000 as the controller for GWN7600 & GWN7610 APs on the .4.x firmware, what is the correct upgrade order; do I upgrade the router first or the APs first or does it matter?

It should not matter. The controller protocol for upgrade/downgrade is compatible. Only the new features is not supported on old firmware.

How did I miss this??? Will be upgrading this weekend and putting the router through its paces!

@GS_Tian

The Beta firmware was released on August 23rd. It is now November 21st.

Can we get an update on this; are there problems with this firmware? Also, when can we expect it to go into production?

Thanks.

Don’t know if this is the right place to give feedback, but I have had a few issues.

My main issue was performance went from 800/500mbps to 200/200mbps. I loved the new features of 1.0.6.28, but the perf hit was too great, so I ended up downgrading back to 1.0.4.23.

Also:

• when I attempted to downgrade back to 1.0.4.23, it kept telling me the update had failed. I eventually figured out that if I left it for long enough it would restart and reboot with the down-graded firmware
  • no clear instructions anywhere about downgrading firmware. I eventually figured that out myself as well, but would have been nice if the manual was clearer on that

Do we have an expectation on when the next release will be?

Hi, Drew N,

My main issue was performance went from 800/500mbps to 200/200mbps.

Do you mean routing speed between LAN and WAN? What type of WAN setting you’re using, DHCP, PPPoE?

Hi,
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, WAN to LAN. WAN is PPPoE. Tested both before and after 1.0.6.28.

I know of a few others who with that firmware having the same issue as well.

I confirm that 6.28 max speed is around 200.

Thanks all for your input, we are aware of the PPPoE slowness on 1.0.6.28. It will be improved on the future release.

I do not use PPoE and have same problem.

Hi GS_Tian,

How is progress on this update? Do we have any further updates of when to expect the next release?

Thanks

@ShinyChrome Firmware 1.0.6.32 has already been released as production. There is no current Beta software for the GWN7000 at this time.

The release was pretty disappointing in terms of progress. 6 months (08/18/2018 to 02/27/2019) between releases to get:

• Fixed security vulnerability to remote code execution by exploiting a POST AUTH Command
• Improved PPPoE WAN speed upon 1.0.6.28

The level of development exhibited on the product tends to make me think that the device is low on the totem pole for GS and perhaps the lack of engagement signals its demise. This is just my opinion, but I had so wanted to see it become something more.

I very much agree. I had high hopes for this product, but in the intervening time I am starting to see competitive products that have leapfrogged the GWN7000 for the SMB market.

@drostoker I am inclined to agree with you both, since the question I asked GS_Tian that you replied to earlier was originally posted 2 weeks ago. Which itself was only posted because it had been at that point 3 weeks without any word of an update. Not reassuring from a customer service point of view.