Emergency Airfield Crash System

Good morning,
I am working on replacing an older PBX with a UCM.
One of the things the company has setup is an emergency alert system from this company: http://www.forum-com.com/alert3.php
They currently send a TIP and RING single pair line to the current system. The way it works. someone picks up the initiating line in the building… their system them RINGS several analog phones. This particular line comes into the existing PBX and rings a ring group.
I am trying to determine if I should bring this analog line into the FXO port and have it behave like an inbound phone call… or into and FXS port and have it be like an extension. I have tried both ways… but have not had any success…
Are you familiar with this kind of setup?

FXS is a signal that exits UCM , FXO is a signal that “enters” UCM.
According to this information you cannot make a wrong choice.

If there is one single phone that will always initiate the alert, then treat it as an FXO hotline. If any phone can initiate the alert, then treat them all equally as extensions.

http://www.forum-com.com/pdfs/Alert3ILMQuickStartguide.pdf

Your description could use a little clarification.

The link you provided indicates a phone in the control tower that is connected into an an emergency alert system (Alert III (or II) system?).

You then indicate -
“They currently send a TIP and RING single pair line to the current system. The way it works. someone picks up the initiating line in the building… their system them RINGS several analog phones. This particular line comes into the existing PBX and rings a ring group.”

So, I am a little confused as to the use of “their system”. Is this the PBX or the Alert system? What particular line?

My take is that the ALERT III system has analog ports to accommodate the notifying phone in the tower and then also signals additional analog phones connected into the Alert III. I assume you want to take an output from the Alert III and have this go into the UCM which then points to a ring group to added IP phones.

The product details of a conventional hook-up show -

It is not clear where the PBX fits into the drawing. The system is advertised as fully standalone, but I can see where augmenting it is possible with the addition of a PBX.

It seems as though the ILM is the endpoint interface that has various outputs that can drive different functions - PA system, garage doors, etc. It takes ring according to the document.

Yes… i guess i was a little vague…
I am just getting my hands on this system so please excuse the confusion.
So their ALLERT 3 system sends the call out… the way it is currently setup in their existing PBX (NO ILM) and it comes in as an incoming call… then rings a ring group. The PBX is outside of the ALERT 3 system. It is basically one of the LINES coming out.

“My take is that the ALERT III system has analog ports to accommodate the notifying phone in the tower and then also signals additional analog phones connected into the Alert III. I assume you want to take an output from the Alert III and have this go into the UCM which then points to a ring group to added IP phones.”

This is my take as well… so I put this line into the FXO 4 port (NO ILM) and setup an analog trunk with INBOUND calls going to the ringroup of everyone… When the call is initiated, I can watch the PBX and the line shows ACTIVE… but nothing happens and no call is made.

One of the strange things I have noticed… If I plug an analog phone into that line i am using, it rings… when I pickup, i hear a couple of clicks, then I am added to the call in progress. I think the way it works is this…
when the 5 analog phones start ringing, when one picks up… the others continue to ring… So the first person can start talking to the tower… as others answer… they join the call. So it is like the ALERT 3 is hosting a conference call. (this is all outside of the PBX)

The line coming into the existing PBX rings a ring group. When a person picks up, the ring group quits ringing… and that person joins the call in progress (after hearing a couple of clicks)

So in summary… i think i need to have it setup as and FXO… but I don’t know why it is not ringing the ring group when the call comes in. And I can see it in the interface go active. i have also tried to ring just an extension.

My take is that you are correct. The FXO port needs to see the ring. The question is the specs on the line and if the UCM is able to recognize the ring in order to pickup. If you watch the FXO port light on the UCM, is it blinking or solid when the call is placed into the UCM?
If you look at active calls in the UCM, does it show there and if so to where? You might also check the CDR to see if it shows anything.

Does the Alert III system use a standardized ring voltage & pattern on the conference side? If not, the UCM may not recognize the signalling as a legitimate inbound call.

The document indicates standard telephone tip and ring.

Hello again…
so i hooked everything back up to FXO this morning to test. and when the call comes in, the UCM shows a solid yellow instead of flashing.
any ideas?

figured it out
i unchecked the CALLERID on the trunk and it works.

And there you have it.