Change in Caller ID Behavior between Firmware versions and hardware

I replaced a UCM 6102 on old firmware with a 6202 on the current, 1.0.13.14 Firmware. From that major change, I found the behavior of this certain situation changed and could use a tip on how to address it. Roughly stated, here’s the deal: On the old hardwre/firmware, a call came into an IVR and based on the caller option tree, the call could be sent out to a cell phone. That call would reach the cell phone, but showing the UCM’s own main number as the Caller ID, like (555) 555-1212. My client would know it came from the business to his cell. After the hardware swap and firmware change, the Caller ID of the original caller passes through. Is there an “easy” way I can change this behavior to either revert to the old behavior? I could just append the trunk name to the Caller ID, which would provide the needed clue this call was forwarded from the business UCM, but I’m looking for a better option.

Any suggestions? Thanks, in advance.

Look at the SIP trunk settings and you will note, keep trunk ID and keep original. Keep original will cause the UCM to pass on the caller’s CID. You can disable it and see how it works and if need be, set the keep trunk ID on.

Thanks for your quick response the other day. In this case, Keep Original CID is unchecked and Keep Trunk CID is checked. Its my impression these settings support your suggestion, but hopefully I am wrong. Would having both unchecked help? I hate to guess or do trial and error, but if there is no better option…I will likely append the trunk name to provide a visual queue. That should at least help.

You are actually trying to accomplish the opposite of what most go for.
Having said that you just need to know what’s changed and adapt how you want.

On the old firmware the outbound caller ID could be dictated by the trunk as well as the general settings on the PBX.
(this no longer works and thus when the call leaves the system it has no caller ID that it knows how to grab)

-this is why:
On the newer firmware the outbound caller ID is dictated by the DOD settings on the trunk on a per extension basis.
When the call now leaves the system it will typically retain the original caller ID(which is what most people want)

To accomplish what you want I would go about it 1 of 2 ways:

1. append something somewhere like you mentioned.(there are a few places/ways to do that)
  2. use a follow me setting which (I think) uses that extensions caller ID. haven’t tested that one recently. (DOD settings would have to be set to work)

There could be more ways, but this is what I think you are dealing with.

Appending the trunk name is unlikely to work for your scenario if using a forward and not using the softphone or other IP-phone connected to the system. The reason being that this is an alphanumeric entry that would fall more so into the CNAM area rather than the CID and is used for inbound delivery so that people can associate am incoming call to a specific purpose and answer same according to the need.

There are areas where CNAM can be entered for outbound, but this is dependent upon the delivering carrier accommodating the field. In Canada, there are some that will, but I am not aware that any US carriers do (not that I know them all). I cannot speak to other countries. US carriers rely upon CID and upon receiving same, do a “dip” into a database and retrieve the CNAM listed as being associated to the CID and deliver same …assuming the receiving subscriber has CNAM delivery included in their subscription plan.

There are various fields in the SIP headers which your provider may use to determine the CID (from, rpid, PPI and PAI). Unfortunately, you may have to do some trial and error as the settings in the UCM are impacted by how you set CID in the extension level, DOD and/or global levels along with the settings used in the trunk as well as what the provider expects. The settings usually have a precedence as to how/when applied. You are correct in that how it works has changed and this is due to the added flexibility that has since been incorporated with new features.

The other needs of the user-base may also come into play as it was not mentioned if all outbound calls should only show the primary business number, should show a DID for each so equipped extension (private line), or ???. if only the primary number then you can do at the trunk level or even perhaps at the provider as some have user portals that allow user interaction such that you can put an override in place so that the provider will output the CID for any/all calls.

That makes sense. Anything appended wouldn’t likely make it out to a cell phone… only to something on the system.

Thanks again, guys. Yes, I found out the hard way before seeing the latest posts that indeed appending the trunk name is NOT getting passed through. I am trialing and erroring as I type. The client/user is a Medical practice and has Doctors on call available via the IVR. They initially complained about the old behavior, but then became dependent on it. I’ll keep trying and if anyone has an idea, don’t be shy. I’ll try it…

So back to the question of what is desired relative to the whole user-base so as to insure that in trying to accommodate one need, others are not broken.

A generic Outbound CID is OK here, I believe. With few or no exceptions, outbound CID is just the default. I don’t have anything populated Internal Options>>General>>Global Outbound CID. Ironically, I just tried setting it to the main business number and that cause the trunk to become unregistered. As soon as I cleared that and applied, trunk is again registered. That seems strange to me. Anyway, I can take liberties with forcing certain changes to accomodate this need.

Try this -

go to the trunks and advanced and then enable PAI and in the space that come up, input the desired number. Save, apply, test and let us know.