Can I run GXW4008 off a 12V battery?

I have purchased a GXW4008 and would like to run it direct off a 12V battery. I’m sure this would work fine but what concerns me is when the battery needs to be charged the voltage could go up around 14.5V. Also if there is a power outage the voltage might drop below 12V, although I am looking at low voltage cutouts.

My other option is to run it from a UPS but my UPS has other loads on it and run time isn’t that long. It’s also a lot less efficient boosting the voltage to 240V just to bring it back down to 12V. With a separate battery I could have something that would keep the voice connection running much longer.

Is there voltage input range data available for the GXW4008?

Thanks,
Michael

Check on PSU added to unit ?

There is typically a voltage range associated to any units ability to continue to function. However, that is not the issue. When using a power supply or UPS, there is a cut-off such that in the case of a power supply, the regulation is lost when the supply voltage range is out of limits and the supply will no longer be able to regulate and as such will cease providing power. The same is true for a UPS, but the UPS may be able to not only handle power outages but line disturbance such as surges and sags.

As the battery is an unregulated source of energy, there is no telling what may happen to the GXW as the voltage on the battery drains and the current requirements go up. The device likely has very limited protection internally as it expects the source to be regulated externally. As the voltage drops to a certain point, some components will no longer have the needed power or clock cycles to continue running, but they will continue to try. This is a gradual decline of operational power loss and not all components will have the same exact specs. If nothing else, I would expect it to cause accelerated component aging leading to an early demise. If you can regulate the battery, then that is something else.

Yeah, that I fully expect. I don’t want to drain the battery much below 12V. I can work around this with a battery cutoff circuit of some sort, I’m guessing there would be something on eBay. The question is more what will happen with a supply up around 14.5V

The PSU and manual both just say 12V

Who knows, but you could submit a ticket and maybe see. My guess is that as the manufacturer, they will tell you it needs to see a regulated 12vdc and X amp source (x = don’t know requirement off-hand) from the supplied transformer and nothing else.

If I were the manufacturer and having been there and done that, it’s what I would do. While you say you could do this and do that to limit, I have no way to verify, and I do not want the liability if there is a warranty and certainly not if the thing catches fire and causes damage and you file an insurance claim (they come after me) or sue (been there and done that to). In each case, the devices are submitted to various testing agencies that examine the units for safety and in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommended use case.

While I understand that there are many who have a good understanding of the issues and know what they are doing, most don’t and manufacturers are loathe to recommend, suggest, hint or otherwise condone anything other than using product as is suggested in the manual provided.

Perhaps another lesser $ UPS is a more refined soultion at not much more cost and avoids the hassle of cutoff and over-voltage.

In any event good luck.,

Unfortunately that does make sense. I’m guessing it would work just fine but I agree they are unlikely to publish that info. They likely have rack-mount DC models available that do support a wide voltage range but obviously more expensive. I’m going to try to get my server to shutdown after say 1 minute in the event of a power loss. That will leave the other less hungry devices able to run hopefully for half a day.