[BUG] audio quality gets poor after phone has been on for a while

bug

If I leave the phone on for a long time - a … few days, a week something like that … then I make a phone call, the audio is poor - its like the gain is too high or its overdriven and harsh. It makes G722 sound almost like G711.

If you reboot the phone and make the same call again, the audio quality is returned to normal.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, we have noted this issue.

Not experiencing this. Leaving the phone idle for days and making/receiving a call, audio using exclusively g711u, call quality is as close, if not equal to landline quality.

Right - the issue is that higher quality codecs degrade to sound like lower quality ones, e.g. pcmu.

@eric.tamme

Are you able to reproduce this issue again? If so, please take a packet capture for us and also the log files. When the problem happened did every call had quality issue until you reboot the handset?

Thanks

Hey GS.Rick
Yes the issue is reproduceable and it happens on every call after the issue starts until you reboot the phone.

Ive taken full debug logs and pcaps during a call when the issue was occuring.

debugInfo_20180611081546.tar (1.7 MB)
20180611081505.pcap.tar (721.5 KB)

Hi,

Thanks for the captures. We will investigate the issue.

This is still an issue after upgrading to the latest firmware.

Hi,

Could you please help provide another debug package and packet capture? We will try look over again.

Thanks

debugInfo_20180713130311.tar (1.4 MB)

attached - audio sounds very harsh, tinny, and crunchy

Here is a “good call” after rebooting the phone

debugInfo_20180713130853.tar (1.0 MB)

Hi,

Thanks for the files. We’ll review it.

@eric.tamme

We noticed there is no syslog enabled in the bad audio file “debugInfo_20180713130311.tar.” Could you please set syslog mode to debug as shown:

Please help us capture again after enable syslog and reproduce the issue.

Thanks

OK - not sure if follow as the tar file contains the logcat. I’ve taken another debug dump and verified the logcat is in the tarfile.

debugInfo_20180716094245.tar (1.4 MB)

Hi,

It’s not the same as logcat. Here’s an example:

Could you confirm your syslog settings? Try rebooting the handset as well to see if the syslog files will generate.

Thanks

@eric.tamme

When the handset was idle was it also charging? Or does the issue occur regardless if charging or not charging during idle? Also were you able to acquire the new debug file with syslog for us?

Thanks

@eric.tamme

We weren’t able to reproduce this issue but will continue to track it. Do you have any update for the questions?

Thanks

Yes I have a new trace, sorry was out of office for a bit. This should have the requested debug. It happens 100% of the time. Literally If i turn the phone on, then come in the next day and call an opus or g722 capable endpoint - it sounds like trash - crunchy, tinny, harsh.

debugInfo_20180802104112.tar (21.2 MB)

Hi,

Thanks for the trace. When the problem occurred was the handset charging or it happens regardless if charging?

I always leave the handset in the cradle, so it would have been charging. do you want me to remove it from the base, reboot it and wait a day to see if the issue occurs again?