Adding 2nd E1/T1 to UCM6510

ip-communications

I have a customer that have 2 E1 services, but the UCM6510 have only one E1/T1 interface.

The question is:
Is possible to use a 2nd UCM6510 only to connect the second E1 and act as “gateway” for the first UCM6510?
The first UCM6510 will have all the extensions registered on it, and the first E1 connected directly, the second UCM6510 have conected the second E1. The first UCM6510 will manage the in/out routes from the directly connected E1 and the second E1 connected to the second UCM6510 acting as a “gateway” for the first UCM6510.

Thanks in advance.

Arnoldo Jiménez de Lara

Yes, incoming trunks DID -> TRUNK call.
But i think you can buy E1/sip gateway cheaper.

With the information at hand, I agree with Marcin. Get a gateway, like the digium G100. I’m not sure about cheaper, I think the price is about the same as a 6510 (I didn’t confirm before posting).

I don’t think you’ll need it, but you might want to look at the G200 (connects 2 E1/T1). I haven’t fully through this through but, I could see it might be important to have both E1’s into the same box to prevent any issue with roll over from one E1/T1 to the other.

In case you haven’t used one, you plug the E1/T1/PRI into the gateway. Then, once configured, the gateway acts as a SIP server. You configure the gateway with as many SIP trunks channels as you have on both E1/T1/PRI combine. Then, you setup the 62xx (means you can buy a 6204/6202 with NO E1/T1/PRI if you haven’t paid for hardware yet) to connect SIP trunks to the gateway.

Thanks for your response… Any suggestion about cheaper gateway? Brand and model if possible.

The issue is that it is a solution “inherited” by an integrator that only sold the equipment, but did not configure it.
It sounds very good what you suggest of the G200, however already has the 2 UCM6510.

And thanks to Marcin and yours, it’s clear to me that it’s possible.

Will you have any configuration document or link to any web page where you can see the configuration of a case like this?

Thanks in advance.

Check this…

http://www.grandstream.com/sites/default/files/Resources/how_to_interconnect_multiple_ucm6510_using_peer_trunk.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjf6qSR-6fdAhVJyoMKHTF6BLEQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3MY6vIqZ9KF0VqGfCprtPa

I hope that helps.

Interconnect is not correct document (at least not fully).

As for settings forwarding to 2 ucm, it extremely easy to do. Just make connection between UCM as in interconnect, but ignore routes as they designed for other settings.
on orginal E1 you set incoming as DID and mark dial TRUNK (make pattern correct like _X.)
Then you set outband with desired privilege level (you set it on inbound) and sent via trunk to 2 UCM. Then you treat this as normal SIP provider call).
for outgoing just do same :slight_smile: by switching trunk.

As for 1 device -> it always better to have 2 separate in case of failure :slight_smile:

gateways: Patton (expensive), Beronet, Yestar

There is also DINSTAR as gateway.

It is not clear what the original purpose of the 2nd UCM was. Perhaps it was meant to be another e1 gateway, maybe not,

To me, the 6510 is a relatively powerful appliance based PBX. A T1/E1 connection seems limited in its ability to meeting the capability of the 6510 in regards to its call capacity. Not knowing the need of the client makes anything I post nothing but conjecture, but you do have the options of -

1, Using the 2nd UCM as the T1/E1 interface and peering between the two.
2. Simply going with SIP provided you have decent Internet and a provider who can meet your expectations.,
3. Getting a T1/E1 gateway and:
a) Get a two port gateway and let this device accommodate both lines.
b) Get a single port to augment the existing port on the UCM you already have
4. Get a HA100 device and then use both UCMs. The first one as primary and the other as a failover secondary. You can probably do this scenario in both 2 & 3 above.

Personally, I like #2 combined with #4. SIP is less costly and more flexible and with the HA provides some level of redundancy. However E1, while more costly on a per line basis is generally considered to be more reliable, but then it really depends on how delivered.

In any event, good luck.