4 lines and an extension on gxp1782

Hello,

I have an UCM 6208 with firmware 1.0.19.21, and GXP 1782 phones. Phone firmware is 1.0.1.79.

Can you please tell me how to configure 4 lines and one extension on the same gxp1782 phone?

I have configured it as follows:

My inbound route for each phone number on the UCM points to an extension - phone number 1 rings to extension 201, phone number 2 rings to 202, etc.

I have configured extensions 201 through 204 as accounts on the gxp1782.

Since the gxp1782 only supports 4 accounts, how can I add an extension to each phone so internal users can still communicate with each other?

I would appreciate any help. I can reconfigure my inbound routes if needed.

I do have a need to identify and separate the 4 phone numbers so an extension knows when a particular number is ringing, and if the extension wants to call out on a particular number, they can.

Thank you

Dan

I think this statement pretty much says it all -“I have configured extensions 201 through 204 as accounts on the gxp1782.”.

Extensions and accounts are pretty much synonymous in this context. Depending on the context several terms can be used to describe the same thing - line/account/extension.

When you set the line/account keys to extensions 201-204, these are the extensions. The owner of the phone can push anyone of the line keys and make a call and the line key that was pushed will represent the extension associated to the key. So, if key 2 is extension 202, when a call is made using that key, the other end will see it as coming from extension 202. Conversely, should the other call extension 202 back, the line key 2 will show as ringing. Simply put the 1782 owner has 4 extensions associated to his phone and other extensions can dial and communicate to any of the 4 by dialing the desired extension number.

This statement needs a little clarification - “I do have a need to identify and separate the 4 phone numbers so an extension knows when a particular number is ringing, and if the extension wants to call out on a particular number, they can.”.

As you stated that you already have the DIDs pointed to a given extension and therefore it is assumed that they already know which line is in use. You can also add a label to the inbound to clarify. However, what is not know is what type of telephone service is in play - analog, SIP or other? This is needed in order to understand what the options are and we need to understand if the desire is that any extension should be able to call out any line with the intent that the callee will see a specific CallerID upon receiving a call.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply lpneblett.

The telephone service is analog. We are open to adding SIP if it will help.

You are right about the statement you said needed clarification. Since the DIDs are pointed to a given extension, we DO know which line is in use. I only mentioned the “need to identify the 4 lines…etc” so that any proposed solution would accommodate the need.

I think we can do without outbound calls showing a specific number if that will help the solution. Outbound calls can use any of the available numbers.

Thanks again for your input.

Dan