Author Topic: GXP1600 series EASY way to upload customized ringtones to phone  (Read 169 times)

jimkh

• View Profile
    • Email

I never could get the TFTP server to connect or work for me, so I kept searching and trying new things.  Here is what I came up with.  Since grabbing the customized ringtones is done in the same way as updating the firmware more or less, I am using the UCM as a server like updating firmware with a local file.  Here are the steps after you have created your ringtones:
1.  Login to your Grandstream UCM web user interface.
2.  Click on value added features
3.  Click on zero config
4.  At top, click on global policy
5.  Scroll down and click on maintenance section
6.  Place a ck in firmware source
7.  To the right, source is "local ucm server"
8.  Below source, to the right of directory, click the the second button (if hovered on says manage storage) and a box will pop up
9.  Click dropdown menu and choose create new directory
10.  Name it something simple like "rings" and click the create folder icon
11.  Now you are ready to begin uploading the ringtones.  Under choose file to upload, click the folder icon to browse to your ringtones.  It will only let you upload one at a time.  For best outcome, upload three ringtones and they must be labeled ring1.bin, ring2.bin and ring3.bin to work.  When finished, click the "x" to close the pop up box.
12.  Scroll down and place a check in update firmware rule and choose always check for new firmware.
13.  Scroll down to bottom and click save, then apply at the top.
14.  Next, at the top, click zero config again.  Place a check on the phone you want to upload the ringtones to and finally click update on the right of that phone's options.  It will send the update/reboot notify to the selected phone and it will grab the ringtones.
15.  Choose the ringtone by clicking the round/circle menu button on the phone and arrow down to prefereces and ringtone.  Arrow
 through them to listen and then click the menu button again to select the one you want.  Then just back out of the menu and you've done it.
P.S.  I know 15 steps seems like a lot, but they are simple ones.  Also, when finished, I recommend going back to the Grandstream UCM web UI and setting the global policy for firmware updates back to url and http for regular firmware updates.  Don't forget to scroll down and click save and then apply at the top.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:01:55 PM by jimkh »

exeyesoftware

• Beta Club Members
    • View Profile
Re: GXP1600 series EASY way to upload customized ringtones to phone
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »
Thanks for that.  I have a couple of questions...

1) It appears that this method requires ZeroConfig to be enabled.  Is it necessary to use ZeroConfig for everything if you want to use it to upload ringtones?  I have so far resisted using ZeroConfig (probably not wise).

2) My understanding of how this works is that going back and changing the firmware upgrade method and path away from the UCM, as described in your PS, will stop automatic uploads of ringtones.  I haven't explored what the phones actually do on reboot (specifically if rebooting when the upgrade server doesn't contain ringtones will reset them to the default or leave previously-uploaded ringtones in place) but still, it doesn't sound like a good idea.  Why not use the UCM as a firmware upload source permanently?  Yes that will require that you manage firmware upgrades, but that's probably a good idea anyhow.

-jimc

jimkh

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GXP1600 series EASY way to upload customized ringtones to phone
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »

To answer your first question, I have always used the zero config so I assume if you don't use it, that you adjust everything manually?
 I'm not a professional, just a higher functioning consumer.  I've always had satisfactory results with zero config.  I don't suppose you HAVE to leave it enabled for everything.
As for question number two, the answer is yes.  If there are no ringtones to grab from any source, it is just a simple reboot as if the power had gone out.  This has nothing to do with ringtones and will not make any change to them.  On the firmware question, I have had excellent results using the ucm server as a manual firmware update solution, i.e. download new firmware and upload it to the ucm server to update.  However, I have also had very good results with leaving the ucm set to automatic updates from the grandstream http server when you set it update automatically.  There is no problem with leaving the ucm set to update the firmware permanently, this was just my final easy solution for getting the custom ringtones on the phones.  I don't change them very often, so no need to leave it set permanently to grab ringtones from the ucm server.  I hope this helps.  I just never had any luck with doing ringtones or firmware updates using a TFTP server.   Finally, when phones reboot, they take roughly a minute, sometimes longer depending on if it is installing firmware.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:06:24 PM by jimkh »