Author Topic: Security of two way paging/intercom  (Read 511 times)

johnrlove

• View Profile
Security of two way paging/intercom
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
Hi,

I've been working with the paging/intercom features of my UCM6208 and GXP1782 phones.  For these features to work it seems I need "Auto-answer by Call-Info" enabled on each phone.  This works well and allows me to immediately open a two way intercom with an extension.  The problem I'm having is opening a two way intercom automatically  does not give any audible indication on the extension dialed.  This leaves the extension open to eavesdropping by using the built in paging functions of the GXP1782 or by dialing the feature code *81 + extension.  While feature codes can be disabled in the UCM, the Page functionality remains for the extensions.

Is there a way to add a custom prompt or ring on an extension when a two way page is initiated?
Is there a way to disable two way paging but leave one way paging functioning?
The "Custom Call-Info for Auto Answer" seemed to have no effect.  I'm unsure what "Used in addition to match the contents of the info parameter in the Call-Info header for auto answer." means.  How do I know what the call-info headers contain? 
How would I add a custom call-info header to a paging group?

Thank You
John

GS.Rick

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Security of two way paging/intercom
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »
Hi there,

See my comments below:

Is there a way to add a custom prompt or ring on an extension when a two way page is initiated?
A: Yes, but you would have to use the UCM's paging extension and define a custom prompt in the settings for that paging group. 

Is there a way to disable two way paging but leave one way paging functioning?
A: No, you can only disable the feature codes on the UCM.

The "Custom Call-Info for Auto Answer" seemed to have no effect.
A: As stated in the help description on UCM, this setting will make it so that every INVITE sent to the device contains a call-info header to indicate auto answer

I'm unsure what "Used in addition to match the contents of the info parameter in the Call-Info header for auto answer." means.  How do I know what the call-info headers contain?
A: This is for SIP servers that sends call-info header with custom parameters. By default, the UCM sends a call-info header with answer-after=0 for intercom/paging calls.

How would I add a custom call-info header to a paging group?
A: I don't think this is possible at the moment.

Thanks