Author Topic: How DOES one get a GXW4008 to firmware update ?  (Read 1324 times)

MAR

How DOES one get a GXW4008 to firmware update ?
« on: September 05, 2008, 08:48:12 AM »
Guyz Got a new GXW4008 with the 1.0.1.8 software. The GS website has the 1.0.1.15 and change notice. I cannot persuade the box to get it though! Here is what I see on screen that appears to be relevant (and which does not tally to the manual of course) Firmware Upgrade and Provisioning **************************** Upgrade Via: TFTP or HTTP or HTTPS [tried both TFTP and HTTP] Firmware Server Path: 168.75.215.189 [as copied from their website] Config Server Path: [blank] Firmware File Prefix: [blank] Firmware File Postfix: [blank] Config File Prefix: [blank] Config File Postfix: [blank] Allow DHCP Option 66 to override server: No or Yes [left at default Yes as no idea what this about] Automatic Upgrade: No or Check every day or Check every week [tried all 3, there is no YES as documented in the manual] Hour of the day(0-23): [blank] Day of the week(0-6): [blank] Finally one of these 3 settings: [left at default, ie top one] * Always Check for New Firmware at Boot up; or * Check New Firmware only when F/W pre/suffix changes; or * Always Skip the Firmware Check ------- Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong please Thanks in anticipation MAR

vshafir

A simple way is to set up a
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

A simple way is to set up a tftp server on a desktop in your LAN. On the gateway, you set the IP of that deskop as the address of the firmware server. Once you save settings and reboot the gateway, it will try to update its firmware off of your local desktop/server.

MAR

Have I got the settings
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »

Have I got the settings right then ?

So if I downloaded the file and put it in the "root" of a local tftp my probs should go away ?

I am off to try it anyway - cant imagine why GS wanted their own unique userhostile nonworking method of doing this sigh.

And WHY oh WHY do they have forum software that messus up the formatting of ones message ? Another bizarre user hostile feature.

------

ARGH

Downloaded what I think is the complete programme (but their website is naff too) for the tftpd32. Ran that and guessed whether it was running or not as the help is all blank. That didnt work either. Of course I did try to follow the help in the GS manual about changing to transmit not just receive but THAT bore no relation to anything I could find tftpd32. I wonder if they EVER let a user read their "helpful" manuals before foisting them on us. You can tell it is late and I am getting very frustrated with this nonsense so ... sorry if I sound somewhat *ed off as of course I am.

PPS At last dont know quite what swung it but it decided to play ball. I had turned off just about everything in the tftpd32 that didnt seem related to the tftp and had told the GS to NOT do Auto and then suddenly after a reboot it decided to do an update and now reports .15.  So thanks for the prompting to try a local tfpd.  All still like pushing treacle uphill but as have two more GXW4008 to update I will just hope I can get it to repeat itself.  Thanks for the help!  Shame about this forum software being so so dire.

MAR

What I found doing the other
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:36:24 AM »

What I found doing the other 2 GXW4008s was that it only worked on the SECOND try each time. On the TFTP server software I turned everything except TFTP off  in its settings and set Security as none and set the path to the GS files folder ie as its root. On the GS Advanced I set (1)TFTP (2) IP to the TFTP server in n.n.n.n format (3) cleared the Config SPath (4) cycled through the 3 Always-Check-Skip buttons back to Always then (5) Update and Reboot  which didnt upgrade (6) then again cycle through the A\'C\'S buttons back to Always (7) Update and reboot and it then pulled down the firmware update taking a few mins of LED flashings to complete. No idea if the cycle through the  A\'C\'S buttons is necessary but as it worked when I was doing box 2 on that 2nd attempt I did it again on the 3nd box and it updated exactly as box 2 had.  So I got there in the end and offer this abbreviated summary to help anyone else before they tear their hair out. Enjoy!

michael

Got to say Grandstream was
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:31:37 PM »

Got to say Grandstream was excellent about the fault, they tried to help me with the fault, and when it was decided that nothing could be done they sent out a replacement rustic lighting very quickly, without first receiving the old faulty one and without asking me for a palm tree lamp Credit Card number or anything like that.It works well with asterisk, and anything exterior lighting that is not quite right they listen to their customers and fix faults in follow up firmware.I definitely recommend them, and would buy grandstream in the future. Great value for mone

reginag

What an excellent update.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:15:43 AM »
What an excellent update. Users would glad to have this newly updated system.
merchant account services