Author Topic: Weather Forecast (example)  (Read 17825 times)

ralf_s

Weather Forecast (example)
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:14:23 AM »
Hi,
I want to use the weather forecast function at my GVX3000. Can anyone name me a provider and the right notation for the line, which works. Maybe an example?
Ralf

Showup

• Use these
  • « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »

<li>Use these parameters:</li>

<li># Enable Weather Forecast to <strong>YES</strong></li>
    <li>P945 = 1</li>

<li># Weather Forecast Server Path</li>
    <li>P944 = 67.110.250.157/weather/weather.php?z=xxxxx</li>

<li>replase the xxxxx with your US zip code.</li>

tobi.wan.kenobi

Great.  Thanks a lot!  I
    « Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »

Great.  Thanks a lot!  I have been trying to get it to work for some time.  Your solution worked like a charm.  Is there any documentation available though what the format needs to be?  I tried multiple RSS-feed services and although they displayed properly on my computer, they did not on the phone.  Thanks.

Showup

There is not much
    « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:48:10 AM »

There is not much documentation for the weather. For news feed please use the CNN RSS. That works great.

jan.boon

Finally with the help of the
    « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »

Finally with the help of the above link I created an example weather report, that the GXV3000 understands:

<weatherreport time="2009-04-10 20:22:17">

<location>

<city>New York</city>

<state>NY</state>

<country>USA</country>

<postalcode>10001</postalcode>

</location>

<forecast>

<date>04/10/2009</date>

<temperature>48F</temperature>

<weather>Cloudy</weather>

</forecast>

<forecast>

<date>04/11/2009</date>

<temperature>0F</temperature>

</weather>

</forecast>

</weatherreport>

I do think we can leave the second forecast-entry out.

Cloudy gives a nice picture. Sunny also. I haven\'t tried other weather types. So any help is apprectiated.

You can serve the xml file directly to the GXV3000 from an http-server like apache.

For a  more dynamic approach you have to do of course some programming. Because I am more in to Java than

PHP I think to write a servlet served by tomcat.

Hope this is helpful.

jan.boon

Sorry for type last
    « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »

Sorry for type last </weather> should be </weather/>

Anyway look at the source of

http://67.110.250.157/weather/weather.php?z=10001

dkibble

• View Profile
      • Email
    Thanks for the info, it\'s
    « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:52:31 AM »

Thanks for the info, it\'s good to see we can get the weather up and running again. I\'m going to implement a weather service based on the BBC RSS feed in the UK and I\'m wondering if what you\'ve implemented is representative of the full XML schema used by the GXV3000? Thanks.

jan.boon

I am not sure if I have
    « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »

I am not sure if I have the complete picture, but the following weather descriptions give pictures on the GXV3000
              "Sunny","Cloudy"="Partly Cloudy","Rain","Clear","Showers",
              "Mostly Cloudy","Snow","Mist"

What not:

"Cloud","Clouds","Foggy","Dust"

If I am missing options I would like to know.

adycotuna

Thank you for your model.
    « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 06:31:27 AM »

Thank you for your model. Based on your file, I asked a friend of mine to create an equivalent for Timisoara, Romania. Here is the link: http://www.hypercube.ro/gxv3000/get_weather.php

The information is received from http://www.rssweather.com/dir/Europe/Romania and we will modify the file to run with a parameter so you can choose between cities.

we will also try to create a table that will change the messages from rssweather.com into messages that gxv3000 will display the corresponding icons.

I alse have a request for persons from Romania who own GXV 3000 to contact me at adycotuna@hotmail.com.

Thank you!

dkibble

• View Profile
      • Email
    Hi All, right, I\'ve now got
    « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 12:50:42 AM »

Hi All, right, I\'ve now got the actual XSD from Grandstream support. I\'ve not finished my service yet so it\'s untested, but one would hope it\'s accurate!  The XML structure is somewhat different to what\'s been posted already which is a tad worrying, but hey, we\'ll give it a go. There are also a lot more options in there which is good to see. I\'ll let you all know when the public facing UK service is up and running. I\'ve tried several ways to attach or cut\'n\'paste the schema into this post, but no joy, if anyone wants it, send me a message and I\'ll get back to you. ;-)

jan.boon

I would like to recieve the
    « Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:38:48 AM »

I would like to recieve the xsd. My email:jan.boon@zonnet.nl.

I also discoverder the windy and fair option, so the list of weather descriptions with prictures is now:

"Sunny","Fair","Cloudy"="Partly Cloudy","Rain","Clear","Showers","Mostly Cloudy","Snow","Mist","Windy"

What not: "Cloud","Clouds","Foggy","Dust","Tornado","Ice"

I have written my servlet interfacing with "http://xml.buienradar.nl/" in Java. If any one interested I can mail the source.

Ik keep a table with grandstream phone id - weather station id pairs. Now still in code but of course this will be stored in a database in time.

zoem5000

the weather forecase is
    « Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »

the weather forecase is working fine, but how can i set the coutry to belgium and the city to Antwerp?

and does anyone know a working RSS news feed. The ones i\'ve copy pasted from CNN doen\'t work.

jan.boon

Try:81.205.161.183/GS/weather
    « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:26 AM »

Try:

81.205.161.183/GS/weather?p=XXAntwerpenXXXXXXXXXXX

dkibble

• View Profile
      • Email
    Apologies for being quite
    « Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:25:18 AM »

Apologies for being quite for a while, been trying to get things sorted with Grandstream support. Unfortunately, the XSD they provided me didn\'t work and the XML structure didn\'t match what the GXV required.... I\'m still trying to get them to understand this and that the XSD didn\'t even match their own example service !!!

In the mean time I\'ve used Jan\'s example (which does work) and there\'s now a service running on the following address;-

http://www.weatherxml.co.uk:7001/GXV-Weather/

The service can take a number of parameters;-
    ?PostCode=XXXX - where XXXX is the first part of a UK post code e.g. UB9, W1, TW13 etc
    ?City=XXXX&Country=YYYY - where XXXX is a city name and YYYY is a country name e.g. CIty=London&Country=UK or City=Boston&Country=USA
    ?ListCities - Provides a complete list of all the known cities and their countries for which there is a forecast

Some examples then;-

www.weatherxml.co.uk:7001/GXV-Weather/?ListCities 

www.weatherxml.co.uk:7001/GXV-Weather/?City=Manchester&Country=UK 

www.weatherxml.co.uk:7001/GXV-Weather/?City=Copenhagen&Country=Denmark 

www.weatherxml.co.uk:7001/GXV-Weather/?PostCode=TW13 

To use these from the GXV3000 just cut \'n\' past one of the above (NOT the ListCities one) into your GXV3000\'s weather forecast URL field.

;-)

zoem5000

Why is it called weather
    « Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »

Why is it called weather forecast anyway, it ony shows the weather as it is, not wat has to come...